My first time trying programming, any suggestions on programs?

Started by
15 comments, last by M2tM 18 years, 1 month ago
I really like games but id like to create my own (like a lot of people). Im in highschool, so i havnt had the chance to learn any languages. Any suggestions on which language is best, and how i could learn it as fast as possible? Id also like know what programs i could use for art, as a beginner.
Advertisement
Beginner FAQ
Content Tools
A tribute to my theacher...

Sorry Too Big, Sorry Too Small

The game randomally chooses a number. The player have a number of tries to guess it. After each guess, the game tells the player if the number was correct, too big, or too samll.

Hope you'll hate this game as much as I do...

After you get some more experiance with your language, move to Tetris
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
I've only been programming for about half a year and i'm all self-taught (it hasn't been long since I left high school). When I first started I had no idea what the languages were or where to start. I firstly bought a book which didn't cover any particular language, but informed me on what the different languages are. I would suggest choosing a high-level language like BASIC (High-level means that it's closer to our language, so therefore it's alot easier to understand). This will help you gain an understanding of the concepts before moving onto something like C++ (a low-level language). I'm using Blitz Basic myself, which was specifically designed for game development. It's very simple and easy to use, and it doesn't take long to learn. I taught myself using a book called 'game programming for teens.' Take a look at some beginners programming books and start from there.
Quote:Original post by someboddy
A tribute to my theacher...

Sorry Too Big, Sorry Too Small

I remember that game fondly from my Commodore 64 programming days. :~)
While I started with C, nowadays I would suggest a language that provides a good amount of abstraction between how you define and solve a problem, and how the computer does. Object oriented programming is a step towards this, and I'm currently working in C#. I'm not suggesting any particular language, I'm just suggesting you start with a language that provides the abstraction necessary so that you spend more time learning how to solve a problem, instead of learning how to talk to the computer.

On a further note, I will tell you now that you wont be picking up a language, and then creating an immersive 3D universe the next week. Your goal should not be to learn a language as fast as possible, it should be to learn it well, no matter how long it takes. Only after you have become proficient in your chosen language can you use it for more complicated tasks, such as programming games.

On an even further note, there is much more to learning a language than just the syntax. Pick up books and tutorials on common problems encountered in said language, idioms, common practices, etc.. You will become a much better programmer because of it.
Quote:Original post by spacemonkey90
(High-level means that it's closer to our language, so therefore it's alot easier to understand).

No, it does not mean that (see this and this).
High school my friend has nothing to do with ability. There are those who have been programming since about ten years old, and it's definitely not too late for you to start now.
There are pretty good specific articles here, and also on Flipcode and Devmaster. Also Google is a powerful tool for information.
Advice: Start with a programming language, start off small and gradually build upon what you learn, and (importantly) apply it. And get as many books, articles, and tutorials as you can-there is no such thing as enough learning material. Once programming's friendly to you start learning Win32 and some of the APIs like OpenGL or DirectX, maybe even use an engine or too.

Good luck to ya, and don't forget to have fun with game programming.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
move this to beginer forum?
All my posts are based on a setting of Medival Fantasy, unless stated in the post otherwise
Quote:Original post by lightblade
move this to beginer forum?

Bippity Boppity Boo!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement