Help with CrashFinder

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 18 years, 1 month ago
I'm using Vis C++ 2005 Express and one of my users is reporting a crash on his machine and has sent me the address of the crash. The problem I'm having is line numbers has been taken out of the code generation in Express, so I can't use map files to find the line number. I found something on the net called CrashFinder 2.1, but the page is down so I can't download the program. I've found older versions of it, but they don't work. So if anyone has CrashFinder 2.1, could they please send it to me so I can see if it works?
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Davaris
I'm using Vis C++ 2005 Express and one of my users is reporting a crash on his machine and has sent me the address of the crash. The problem I'm having is line numbers has been taken out of the code generation in Express, so I can't use map files to find the line number.

I found something on the net called CrashFinder 2.1, but the page is down so I can't download the program. I've found older versions of it, but they don't work. So if anyone has CrashFinder 2.1, could they please send it to me so I can see if it works?

That was in an old MSDN article, maintained by the author on his own site.

It's a pretty good program to get started with crash debugging. To use it, you must have compiled your program with the debug symbols in an external file, which I'm guessing you didn't do. (This is a few steps beyond just a map file). You load the debug symbol file, type in the address of the crash, and it turns it back to an approximate line number.

It's a bit harder, but you can load the crash minidump (if you have it) in WinDbg. Assuming you have a map file or the debug symbols file, get quite a bit of information about the state of the app prior to the crash.
>To use it, you must have compiled your program with the debug symbols in an external file, which I'm guessing you didn't do.

Yes I followed the instructions to the letter and set all of the compiler switches. :)

>You load the debug symbol file

This is what I'm not sure of. The program lets you put the executable image into the project. But what about the .pdb file? Does it find it automatically?
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Quote:Original post by Davaris
>To use it, you must have compiled your program with the debug symbols in an external file, which I'm guessing you didn't do.

Yes I followed the instructions to the letter and set all of the compiler switches. :)

>You load the debug symbol file

This is what I'm not sure of. The program lets you put the executable image into the project. But what about the .pdb file? Does it find it automatically?

IIRC, it looked for it at the same place as the executable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement