Cl.exe

Started by
7 comments, last by Jesbass 18 years, 1 month ago
I was trying to compile some code today, and I got the following error:
Quote:"Error spawning cl.exe"
I can't find the file anywhere, and suspect it may have been deleted somehow! I can still run the program by telling the compiler to carry on anyway, but I obviously want to get this file back. I think there was another file with it, also called cl.something. It isn't on my latest SDK CD. Is it possible to download this file, or retrieve a previously deleted file? (My recycle bin, sadly, is empty.) :(
Advertisement
I've had that message before; but nothing of mine was deleted. How sure are you that your not jumping to conclusions? Do you know for a fact something is gone?
I'm not absolutely certain, but Windows search can't find it. Do you remember how you corrected this error?
cl.exe is the Microsoft Visual C/C++ Compiler / Linker. It should be on/in whatever you installed MSVC from.

The file might not actually deleted, MSVC (the IDE) may just not be able to access it. Try restarting the IDE and forcefully closing any stalled instances you might find (CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Task Manager)

For Visual Studio 8 (Express 2005), it is here in my situation:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\cl.exe

VC 2003:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\bin\cl.exe

You get the idea :P
No, it definitely isn't there. I've had a look. Is the next step to reinstall VC++, or should I be able to retrieve the file from one of the VC++ CDs without going through the whole process?
Quote:Original post by Jesbass
No, it definitely isn't there. I've had a look. Is the next step to reinstall VC++, or should I be able to retrieve the file from one of the VC++ CDs without going through the whole process?

Well... Theres always the free VC toolkit that comes with the "professional" compiler/linker (called cl.exe)...

But the cd should be better... If you can somehow retrieve the cl.exe file without installing it.
another reason for it not being able to spawn could be if the paths for binary files has been messed with. In the IDE go to Tools->Options->Directories and switch the combobox to Executable Files (thats what its called in VC++ 6.0 ) and inspect all the paths to see if you have one pointing to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin", or wherever you've installed it to.
moe.ron
I solved this problem before by opening my processes (ctrl+alt+del).
I then noticed that there were a couple of .tmp files along the lines of ~#####.tmp running. After closing those from the process manager, I was able to compile again without this error.
I found the files on one of the CDs and copied/pasted them into the install folder. I no longer have this error.

Thanks for all the helpful advice! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement