Design patterns books ?

Started by
7 comments, last by paic 18 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I'm interested in learning about desing patterns. I recently noticed that I re-invented the wheel and that what I spent 3 days working on was simply a well-know design pattern :/ So, I'd like to buy a good book on desing pattern, but I don't really know what they're worth. Could anybody recommend me a good book on design pattern ? Thx in advance. Edit : these are the books that I consider : - "Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective On Object-Oriented Design" : quite recent, seems to cover most of the patterns. - "Patterns In Game Design" : may contain the application of design patterns to a real game app, but may not cover most of the patterns. - "Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied" - "Design Patterns Cd: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" : quite old.
Advertisement
I would recommend starting with Head First Design Patterns.
After that, Refactoring to Patterns.
After that, the GoF book.
This is the book you want. It's also known as the "Gang of Four" book or just the "GoF" book. I would recommend you try to get it used or on ebay though. $45 is too much. But don't bother with the other books until you've read this one. This is the "original" one.
Overall, Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied provides valuable analysis on design patterns with emphasis on C++ template.

Books on software designs are important as you pointed.

Your designs are important too.

Kuphryn
Quote:Original post by leiavoia
This is the book you want. It's also known as the "Gang of Four" book or just the "GoF" book. I would recommend you try to get it used or on ebay though. $45 is too much. But don't bother with the other books until you've read this one. This is the "original" one.

HF Design patterns makes the GoF patterns a lot more transparent and understandable.
I read the GoF book first and couldn't figure out how to apply that theoretical knowledge.
Reading HF tells you that.

GoF is more of a reference than a tutorial or study tool.
I second the recommendation of HF. It has a lot of bloat, but the simple code and explanations really explain patterns well. I started with GoF, but it seemed a bit too abstract. After reading HF read GoF..it will make much more sense then.
Personally, I found GoF to be great. The examples were good real life examples, and sure, the book doesn't hand-hold the reader through implimentation details... but it shouldn't. Frankly, they're just patterns, which will need tweaked and fiddled with to fit to your specific problem. If you can't impliment them without hand holding, how are you going to adapt them for practical use?
That, and reading books that are "hard" make me feel cool after i'm done ;-)
Thanks a lot ^^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement