Sign in to follow this  
AxelF74

SDL libs for PPC?

Hi, I'm looking for already compiled SDL-libraries (.lib and .dll from SDL_image, SDL_mixer and SDL_ttf) for the PocketPC (Windows CE 2003-ARM). Because the PPC platform is not supported officially by the libSDL team it is a little bit tricky to compile them. Thanks for any sources! Regards, Axel

Quote:
Original post by KaptainKomunist
Um... ARM != PPC?

Yup.

PPC = PowerPC, (Performance Optimization With Enhanced RISC Personal Computer) all trademarks of IBM. The PPC chips are found in many IBM machines and supercomputers.

They have also been the Apple CPU for about a decade, prior to their current jump over to certain Intel chipsets.

The name 'Pocket PC' instead of 'Power PC' is too confusing for some people to get over.

Just call the platform 'wince', since that's what did when using the older compilers (evc3 and evc4). It was amazing that a supposed "C++" compiler released in 2003 from Microsoft would have no concept of the actual six-year-old* C++ language standard.

* six years is calculated from the last round of public drafts.

He's looking for a PocketPC version, not PowerPC. Those come usually with Windows Mobile and an ARM processor.
@OP: Sorry, I don't know where to get precompiled version. But may I suggest to take a look at the PocketFrog library which is tailored specifically for mobile devices.

I am also very interested to the answer to this question. I now there is a port, but I couldn't find the binaries/headers/docs.

SDL on PocketPC is poor. PocketHAL and PocketFrog are much better, so I would take baumep's suggestion. Even if you want to port existing SDL apps it will be much faster to write wrappers/adapters than to deal with the PPC SDL port.

I would like a C (not C++) library. Yes, I have my reasons for that, please do not ask why.
Is there any C library that would give me access to the screen, input and networking?

Thanks for all replys so far.

For me the only choice is SDL - I like the library and the simple handling of many tasks. At last I found a PocketPC version here: http://arisme.free.fr/ports/SDL.php
It is one which is used in SCUMM.
For sound on the PocketPC I'm using fmod now - very simple to use.

Axel