• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Twinsen2

Unity Final Year Project Debate.

This topic is 4547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello gamedev community. Currently i am in final year at uni studying games programing, and our team has struck a debate that i though would be prudent to post on the forums and get advice from the real world to help deligate this matter. OK, we are basically given 13 weeks to come up with a game demo, this demo will be used to get us a job in the industry, now the problem is that 1 of our team members would like to use a pre-existing game engine that teachers at our uni have developed, now this is all well and good but myself and another team member want to create our own game engine using different components and intergrate them all together to help us understand how engines are made and how they work 2gether. Currently this project isnt due for another 6 months ("Roughly") and so far we have started writing the engine and have made somre real progress. Now the question i would like to ask someone is that how much of a difference would it be to write on ur resume that you wrote a fully featured game engine using real components used in the industry and make a game out of it, as oposed to using a pre built game engine made from the lectures at my uni. Here is the progress so far of our engine: 3D Engine: Ogre Sound: OpenAl (70% done) Phsyics: Newton ( done but needs refinment ) file system XML ( mostly done but also needs refinment) Now our group is well ahead of schedule as we arnt meant 2 be makn the game until last trimester, but because we are writing the engine we have started now. I would just like to ask that what people think about creating your own engine as opsoed to the one provided and what kind of impact would this yeild from protential employers.

Advertisement
At this day and age companies are not looking for you to be capable to write your own game from scratch they understand that your entire game development process (outsite of game logic) can nearly entirely consist of short logic calls to wrappers.

I think you are looking at this from completely the wrong perspective. You have 13 weeks to develop the project.

Firstly drop any and all talk about developing the title beyond that of a tech demo.

Secondly draw some focus, either you make a great engine and leave it at that, or you simply opt to use middleware and pre-existing engines to develop what you want.

In order to ensure you have maximum focus consider what areas you want to go into. The current roles that would be best fitting to a graduate would be Gameplay programmer (covers nearly every area, or tools programmer, leaving out QA etc).

So you need a focus, so that your tech demo can achieve maximum impact. At the moment you would be best at either going after a solid AI agent for your game or perhaps into good gameplay. Physics are mostly done via middleware (Novodex, Havok etc (Scrap newton and use Novodex, at least you get the experience with it))

Decide as a team exactly what your project is going to do. Then find the engine that fits your title (Torque, Cipher, Unreal, Source etc) Dont be silly and just get a graphics engine, you want a game engine. As the less work you need to do the better.

So you will need to focus, and decide exactly what to achieve. I've been down this road 3 times before. I cocked it up the 2nd time, but certainly made ammends the 1st and 3rd time. (2nd time I took your approach and tried to develop everything, I got fairly far, but was not applicapble.)

In short, focus, focus, focus.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!