Gimme some metal...

Started by
96 comments, last by Riviera Kid 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Cold_Steel
Quote:Original post by Maega
Now that a discussion on metal is up, let me slightly hijack this thread.

Why do people like some of the metal in which people just scream into the mic the whole time?

My brother listens to that stuff and I can't figure out why. There's no talent in that.
Funny you should mention this. I happened to catch the new Headbanger's Ball on MTV2 and decided to give it a watch. They had a video from Napalm Death. I sat there in awe, slightly giggling, wonder what in the heck the guy was even "singing". I literally could turn my radio to static and crank it up and get the same effect. If I take my guitar, crank the gain and drive to the max and just pound on it, it would sound about the same. I really don't get it, and I find it most unpleasant, but to each his own I guess.

I'm a fan of stuff like Bruce Dickinson sings. I don't like the whole guttural growls with the screaming and yelling and no discernable lyrics. Plus it all sounds identical to me. Of course, listen to Hammerfall or some other power metal and, well, that kinda all sounds the same too, so I can't really complain about that. Maybe it's just because I got hooked on stuff like Iron Maiden first that I can't really appreciate the grindcore, metalcore stuff. And really, Bruce Dickinson is one of the best singers on Earth, so maybe that's why I prefer stuff like that.
That's the thing I don't like about Static-X. The music sounds all cool, and then Slim Jim would just ruin it for me. I don't always have to know what you're saying, but I would like it to blend in with the music.
Advertisement
A thread about metal and no mention of the fathers of heavy metal, Led Zeppelin?
For shame! [grin]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Mmm, yes. Led Zeppelin is metal in the same way that you'd like a punch to the throat.

You need to look up some Fear Factory, The Red Chord, Bloodbath, Strapping Young Lad, Cannibal Corpse and Opeth. If you don't like any of those bands, than metal was never for you and you should go eat poo. Go download more screamo.
____________Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.
I know it's not pure metal, but lately I've been addicted to Slipknot. There last album was freaking awesome and I'm suprised it wasn't played more.
Quote:Original post by shmoove
Black Sabbath.

shmoove

That's what I was thinking! I saw Ozzy, but no Sabbath??? Sabbath pretty much invented metal!

Along with Led Zeppelin - despite what I Like Bread thinks. [grin]

Any list of early practioners of the metal would also have to include Deep Purple.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned Judas Priest or the Scorpions - at least from what I saw, I might have overlooked something.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by Cold_Steel
Also, check out Blind Guardian. These guys are incredible. I'd definitely rank them up there with Iron Maiden. Their last three albums are masterpieces. Amazing song writing. Their song And Then There Was Silence... has got to be in the top 5 epic metal songs of all time (up there with with Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner or Hallowed be Thy Name).

You might also like Kamelot. Some of their earlier stuff isn't that great, but their newest album, The Black Halo is a huge step up. Very well done.

Seconded - if you haven't heard much/anything from Blind Guardian, check out their last three albums and make sure you listen to Mirror Mirror and And Then There Was Silence at least once, to make sure you don't miss out on something really great.
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Quote:Original post by shmoove
Black Sabbath.

shmoove

That's what I was thinking! I saw Ozzy, but no Sabbath??? Sabbath pretty much invented metal!

Along with Led Zeppelin - despite what I Like Bread thinks. [grin]

Any list of early practioners of the metal would also have to include Deep Purple.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned Judas Priest or the Scorpions - at least from what I saw, I might have overlooked something.

Judas Priest and Black Sabbath yes, but Led Zeppelin? Then Motorhead must be here too.
Motorhead
superpig,
You're probably thinking of the producer Bruce Dickinson, as featured in the "more cowbell!" SNL sketch, not the lead singer of Iron Maiden: Bruce Dickinson.

I don't think he's too fond of cowbells, but you never know.
Quote:Original post by DeadXorAlive
Judas Priest and Black Sabbath yes, but Led Zeppelin? Then Motorhead must be here too. Motorhead

Yes, Zeppelin. Zeppelin set the pattern. Listen to some Yardbirds, Cream and Jimi Hendrix and then listen to Zeppelin I and II. That Zeppelin ventured into folk music doesn't change the fact that they pretty much defined what it meant to be "heavy" back then.

I didn't drop Motorhead because they didn't hit their prime until the 80's, whereas Judas Priest and the Scorpions were forging ahead in the 70's. For that matter, I should have added Blue Öyster Cult, Aerosmith and early Van Halen. It's probably also worth mentioning Thin Lizzy and even Ted Nugent - and AC-DC too!

The wikipedia entry for Heavy Metal spells out the origins of the music quite well. It also exposes a source of different perspectives on what the name means: [1]

Quote:
However, it was the release of Led Zeppelin in 1969 that brought worldwide notice of the formation of a new genre. The first heavy metal bands -- Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, UFO and Black Sabbath, among a few -- are often now called hard rock bands by the modern metal community rather than heavy metal, especially those bands whose sound was more similar to traditional rock music. In general, the terms heavy metal and hard rock are often used interchangeably, in particular when discussing the 1970s. Indeed, many such bands are not considered "heavy metal bands" per se, but rather as having contributed individual songs or works that contributed to the genre; few would consider Jethro Tull a heavy metal band in any real sense, for example, but few would dispute that their song Aqualung was a quintessential early Heavy Metal song.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Stratovarius, Nightwish, In Flames.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement