• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
orangefranzie

OpenGL lighting

This topic is 4586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I guess this question isn't necessarily specific to OpenGL, but thats the API that I'm learning so I was hoping to receive an answer that wasn't littered with DirectX lingo. In OpenGL there are different color components for a single light: specular, ambient, and diffuse. I understand (somewhat) what each component does in a scene, and I have no problem using the lights. What's confusing me is why one would want to specify different colors for a single light source. If there was a red light in a scene, shouldn't the specular, ambient, and diffuse components all be red? Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, I'm completely new to this stuff. If anybody can put this in terms that I can understand, that would be great. Thanks! -James

Advertisement
Under most circumstances, I would assume that you would want your specular, diffuse, and ambiant to be similar. However the ability to set them separately would allow for more artistic flexability. Some experiementation may lead to some visually pleasing results.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!