Sign in to follow this  
Ganoosh_

Rotating one vector to face another in 2D

I'm having a really tough time with this. I need to rotate a vector to face another vector (for example, having an image rotate to face the location of the mouse). Here's a picture of what I mean: With 0 rotation facing to the right (radians). How do I get that angle of rotation given the x and y of the 2 points? Thanks in advance

Quote:
Original post by Ganoosh_
How do I get that angle of rotation given the x and y of the 2 points?
angle = atan2(target.y - pos.y, target.x - pos.x);

Ah, thanks that got it, I was using atan and it wasn't working, not sure why it's basically the same thing. Maybe my points were screwed up. I don't know. But it's working fine now, thanks

Typically you don't ever want the exact angle. You'll want the sin and cos of that angle. You can get the cos from the dot product and the sin from the cross product. If you do however need the exact angle, just use acos the value returned by the dot product. Note: be sure to normalize before you do dot or cross product.

Quote:
Original post by blaze02
Typically you don't ever want the exact angle. You'll want the sin and cos of that angle. You can get the cos from the dot product and the sin from the cross product. If you do however need the exact angle, just use acos the value returned by the dot product. Note: be sure to normalize before you do dot or cross product.
There are situations where the angle itself can be useful. Furthermore, in those cases it's usually better to use atan2() rather than acos().

Quote:
Original post by Ganoosh_
Ah, thanks that got it, I was using atan and it wasn't working, not sure why it's basically the same thing. Maybe my points were screwed up. I don't know. But it's working fine now, thanks

atan is a simple arctangent.

The arctangent is only defined for + or - 90 degrees before it resets. What that means is that 91 degrees (from +X) gives the same result as 271 degrees.

atan2 takes the quadrant into account and is valid for the full 360 degrees.

Why not subtract the target position from the source position, and scale this vector by the length you want? Instant vector pointing to target.

edit:
Ignore this post... I misunderstood the previous poster and -basically- I'm saying the same thing.
/edit

Quote:
Original post by Rockoon1
Why not subtract the target position from the source position, and scale this vector by the length you want? Instant vector pointing to target.

It needs to be normalized first, and the distance needs to be known (the sqrt is just as bad the sin()/cos()) but sure...

Keep this part only:
Quote:

Why not subtract the target position from the source position (?)

:)

If the resulting vector has to be a fixed length, multiply by (new length)/(old lngth)

[Edited by - someusername on March 10, 2006 6:53:18 AM]