game engine - outsorced or in-house?

Started by
6 comments, last by Guimo 18 years, 1 month ago
Hi guys, Can you tell me your opinion with regard to the development of a game engine for a casual game? What are the benefits of having your own engine vs. outsourcing the engine? Thanks much. ccc123
Advertisement
Strangely enough, I'd say that in most cases developing your own engine is only really a good idea for those at either end of the spectrum: beginners who want to learn how one is put together, and talented professionals who have the resources to sell theirs to other studios. Everyone in between those two extremes would probably be better served by concentrating on content and using an existing engine if at all possible.
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
You said: "...using an existing engine if at all possible."

Are you implying that it is possible to develop a casual game without an engine?

thanks for your quick response.
Quote:Original post by ccc123

Are you implying that it is possible to develop a casual game without an engine?

I think pan was meaning that only develop an engine for a casual game if there are no affordable / viable options to obtain an existing one.
Quote:Original post by ccc123

The way I read it, s/he was implying that an existing engine would be preferable - otherwise one would have to be created (the two alternatives you mentioned in your post were not supplemented with a third).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by necreia
I think pan was meaning that only develop an engine for a casual game if there are no affordable / viable options to obtain an existing one.

Quote:Original post by tsloper
The way I read it, s/he was implying that an existing engine would be preferable - otherwise one would have to be created

Yes and yes.
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
Doesn't PopCap games actually open-source their engine?

Here it is.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
For a casual/small game you can do without an engine at all. But you will be better using a good engine. I'd recommend Torque.

Luck!
Guimo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement