Where do i start

Started by
7 comments, last by Pharaoh12 18 years, 1 month ago
hi, im making a game based on history, where you live the life of a roman, and level up your character. I have one problem, where do i start, do i make all the objects, or do i make a game engine, etc.
Advertisement
You learn to program.

Check out Python (link). And PyGame for graphics. (sorry, I don't have a link, but google, and apparently Fruny, does)

[Edited by - Ezbez on March 14, 2006 4:26:15 PM]
Or C++

Note that even the simplest text game require you to read at least half of a book like that
Depends on the kind of game you want to make. What you have here is a basic theme idea, but not enough for us to know exactly the game you intend to create.

Ebez - pygame.org
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
We need to know a bit more information. Like what role do you see yourself having in the creation of the game(ie, do you plan on doing all the work, or just a section like make the story or design the art?).. Do you have any experience making simpler games? Do you want this to be 3d, 2d, text? Do you have experience programming? What language? Have you ever used directX, openGL, SDL, or some other graphics API? Do you want this to be state of the art, needs the latest pentium 12 with 32 terrabytes of RAM? Do you have people helping? Do you want to make different games in the future or plan on getting a job making games for a living? Do you have to get it done by a certain date(like in one year, 12 weeks, etc)?

There are so many ways to go about making a game that without more info any advice we give could end up not helping you achieve your long-term goals. If this is the only game you know you'll ever want to make and you plan on giving it away for free on the internet and it only needs to be 2d and you'd like to try finishing within the year we might give different directions than if you want to get a job as a games programmer for id software in 5-6 years from now making the latest in 3d games.

That said, the usual pathway is to learn a programming language(there are dozens in common use), then learn how to make simple graphics in that language, and basically build more and more complex games learning new techniques as you go. A common language suggested is C or C++, but there's also JAVA, C#, python, and more you might try. Each of these has advantages and disadvantages, you should look them up in google and on this website because these pros and cons have been discussed at tremendous length.
well im basically the games deginer, i have no role in the fisical programming, the game is 3D, you play the role of one person, and live the life the romans did.

The game is not a commercial project, (yet ;) )but i have a small team of people, 1 programmer, 1 3d artist, 3 designers, 4 researchers, 1 musical artist.

Off topic:
**does anyone here want to join the team**
On topic:

so where do i go to find more programmers, artists, etc. (apart from Help Wanted Forum)

Thank you
The strange thing about game development in a team is that you'll be doing all parts of the game. If you're the "game designer", you'll also be doing some programming, you'll also be doing some art and maybe even some music. You're working as a team and sometimes that means helping your team members out.

Another thing to note is that sometimes it's bad to just have a large team and not actually do any work. The more members you have, the less important your team members will feel. If you have a team of three working together, everyone has a say into how the game should play. Everyone is the game designer.

What you need to decide is what language and engine you'll be using. You said you were looking to go with 3D, so you have a number of options. Ogre is a popular choice (or PyOgre for Python). Irrlicht is along good one. It's completely up to you which you decide, just make sure you collaborate with your team and make sure they feel they have a say in the matter.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Also, to start designing a commercial-quality project with no experience or knowledge (basically, to start with nothing but a "great idea") is VERY ambitious (and if you are that interested in Roman history, you can probably think of a certain ambitious person and -his- fate, lol).

Might I suggest starting small, and doing a menial game or two that incorporates one or two basic elements from the big game you'd like to make. This gives you and your team a little experience, and a feel for each other before you start undertaking a large project like the one you seem to be proposing.

Best of luck! :-)
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
You havent said anything about your experience or what you know except the fact that you are a "Game Designer". Does your "Programmer" know what language he wants to program in and does he "KNOW" the language? More information means better help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement