what programming language should i use?

Started by
12 comments, last by annoyer101 18 years, 1 month ago
What programming language does anyone recomend me to use in a mmorpg development? Im currently considering pascal but before i get my head deep into that i want to know if thats a good/bad/stupid/okay.etc. idea.
Advertisement
Is this your first programming language?
yes
i looked at others like basic and c++ but i like pascal best for some reason
what do you think or any one else i just neeed to know a good one
if it's your first language then I think Pascal is a good choice as it will teach you the fundamentals of programming. I studied Pascal when I did my A-Levels, although not used for commercial applications nowadays it is good as a learning tool, once you have learned pascal well, you can move onto Delphi which is 'Visual' Pascal. You can then use OpenGL with Delphi to code your MMORPG

or you can learn ANSI C first, build up a good knowledge then move on to C++.

I will say this, if this is your first language, concentrate on the 'fundamentals' of programming, like variables, data structures, data types, don't worry about 'cool' graphics features you will get to those, once you have built a good solid foundation you will be in a very good position to progress further, such as OpenGL and DirectX.
what are visuals?I heard of those alot when i was searching BASIC and couldnt understand exactly wha they where
Basically, it allows you to create windows applications, for example, 'Visual' Basic allows you to see what your creating, such as Form, ToolBar, Menus etc... you can actively place them on a form then write code based on what you want them to do.

ok thanx
When you hear Visual C++ its not a language but only the Text Editor and Compiler that builds C++ applications

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement