what programming language should i use?

Started by
12 comments, last by annoyer101 18 years, 1 month ago
There are various versions of basic. Many have similar syntax and an aim to be exactly what the name implies (basic).

QBasic is the classic command line version that shipped with dos.

Visual Basic is the windows version of the language and it involves making windows and working with windows buttons and such.

There are plenty of other versions, but QBasic is probably best to start with if you wanted to do basic.

C++ may be a bit "heavy" to start with. Pascal is a good choice, another good one: Python.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Advertisement
First off, an MMORPG is the hardest and most time consuming genre to write. Set your sights lower, like something text-based to get the basics of programming. The first thing I created was a little game-thing like a text adventure, but much, much worse. [lol] Once you are done with that, create many little games, such as a tetris or a space invaders. After you do that(and maybe learn how to do some 3d programming), learn how to program a simple networking application, such as a two-player tetris or something. After that, and you create more complex games, you can start thinking about creating something resembling a MMORPG.

For a starter language, look up python and pygame. After that, learn more languages such as c++, java, and anything else and learn how to make games in that. Programming is not bound to whatever language you used though, it is bound to your skills, determination, and practice, practice, practice.
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
Yep, i agree with "supercoder74", i really dont understand ya guys, why do you always want to make MMORPG first, better first create some 3d room, with AI guys, and colision, and if you made it, you can continuo forward, pretty good...

Altrough i will prefer you C#.
I learned c++ and created some 3d app, but when i tried C# i never looked back, belleve me.It is so easy, and it has already build-in GUI (windowsapplication), so you dont need to write a lot of codes (Win32, SDL) for you GUI.
If you're not sure, atleast try, download "Visual C# 2005 Express Edition" from Microsoft's site, and register it, and you will have it full4ever.

P.S. There are free c# video tutorials, too (http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/msdnvideodev.mspx)

Good luck!
XeeRox
thanks for all those suggestions guys ill look at python and c#

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement