Writing formulas

Started by
25 comments, last by Bob Janova 18 years, 1 month ago
I'm doing my dissertation at the moment and I'm having to write out a *lot* of formulas into my report. Unfortunately a lot of these formulas are all but impossible to write out in Word, and I was wondering if any of you guys knew of any programs or anything that can help me write these formulas out into Word or into an image quickly. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
You might want to look into LaTeX
Actually, you can write equations in word. Not sure of the quality though. To do this, goto Insert->Object and look for Microsoft Equation. You might have to install it from the CD but it's there and free.
EZmath
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
You're doing your (phd?) dissertation in word. MS Word. Up to hundreds of pages probably, with lots of special math formulae, images, and formatting, in MS Word.

I think, halfway through you're going to want to pull your hair out, but it will already have fallen out in the first place.

but if word is what you're comfortable with, then so be it...
Perhaps TeX/LaTeX will interest you. It's a markup language used primarily for typesetting scientific and mathematical documents.

Right now I'm using MiKTeX and LEd for all my LaTeX needs.
Latex is for the professionals,

us amaturs can use Mathtype (free month trial, and rather cheap if you need more)
Quote:Original post by Iftah
Latex is for the professionals,

us amaturs can use Mathtype (free month trial, and rather cheap if you need more)

LaTeX cannot be used by non-professionals?
Thanx for those links. I wish I'd known about that Microsoft Equation! That would have saved me a *lot* of time.
Whatever you do DON'T USE WORD!!! You will regret it (voice of experience). It is fine for lots of things, but not a dissertation with lots of equations. Use LaTeX. It is not for "professionals" (it is the standard in most math intensive academic disciplines). It is free but there is a little bit of a learning curve. However, the results are fantastic. Try downloading MikTek and TexnicCenter.

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement