A little rusty

Started by
3 comments, last by mike003 18 years ago
Hey everyone, Its been quite a while now since I've done any C++ at all, and when I left off I was still a begginner, so naturally I've forgotten most of what I had learned. I do remember, however, geting a suggestion be someone a while ago about SDL, and I was hoping someone could give me a list of the basic checkpoints in programming C++ I need to know before moving on to using SDL. Thanks
Advertisement
You don't need any of the C++ that isn't on C to program with SDL. Everything you know from C will be useful with using SDL. I don't know if you can segregate any portion of knowledge that would be of more specific use to that library.

Of course knowing C++ would make everything much better. You could create your own GUI within a single main class, using other periferal classes to manipulate each kind of object you could have there and stuff like that. So, I guess there really isn't a starting point on where to use SDL. When you feel confortable with programming stuff using most of the aspects of the language, you head for SDL.
Thanks I'll work on it.
I used SDL for almost a year, there were two main things that I found helped the most (And killed me, since I didn't know crap when I started SDL)

- Good knowledge of pointers. This is important, since SDL makes sure you'll use these a lot.

- Objects. C++ isn't necessary for OpenGL, but objects and especially polymorphism and inheritance come in very handy, preventing you from rewriting the same code 10 times. It also helps when you move onto collision detection, it's easier to check collision with 2 objects that inherit GameObject instead of checking, say, player/bullet, player/enemy, enemy/bullet, enemy/player, etc.
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface
Thanks a lot thats what I was looking for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement