Sign in to follow this  
derek7

Does game development belong to computer simulation domain?

That depends. Computer games are basically always simulations, as a game world with its rules, elements, boundaries and opportunities has to be simulated to come to life eventually.

Computer simulation can be an entry point to understanding game programming, for the simulation part of it, which makes up most of the gameplay-related code in a game.
Other entry points can be used as well, as graphics, sound, input handling, multiprocessing, network programming etc. all have found their way into game development, as well as writing, painting, composing, rule set design and many more.
So, seeing games solely as simulations is not worng per se, but limits game to one facet of countless; you can get into game development by studying simulation, but you don't have to.
There may be other topics and fields of study where you can get into gamedev, too, maybe even better or easier, but that depends on your interest and base knowledge.
So, no one can tell you "you have to study course X to get into gamedev"; you will have to decide for yourself, if a given course sounds promising to you to help you reach the aim you long for.

I personally study applied computer science at the local University of Applied Sciences in my hometown, and I'm quite happy with it; this suits for my foundation as having learned an electronics profession and having years of experience programming computers as an autodidact, having read a lot of books and articles about advanced topics and being interested in math and physics generally, too; so, with this base, studying computer science suits my profile well, as I have a broad base of topics I'm already familiar with and still can learn useful new facts and techniques I can apply in various fields.