Looking into game programming

Started by
11 comments, last by NeWbY 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:(there is no 2D component to DirectX - you just use one 3D rectangle basically)

You can use the Direct3DX library and its sprite class for 2D work in DirectX. If you don't mind a little obsolencence, you can also use DirectDraw.

I'm currently experimenting with code and I've just barely figured out how to do screen transitions without crashing my applications, so I plan on beginning scrolling & collision detection next.

The thing about deciding which game is right for you is to figure out your strong areas. An RPG doesn't need much physics or really responsive controls, but you have to be reasonably good at scripting. Pong requires physics, collision detection, and AI (unless it's 2 player only), but it's relatively easy to make your own sprites and resources for it.
Advertisement
Thanks for the info guys. I am gonna look into DirectX and mess with that for a while. I will also try the Tetris and Mario clones to see how they come out. I have really been interested in programing games since I have been a gamer for the last 18 years, its just a little tough right now since I am deployed to Iraq. Reading up on all that will keep me busy til I get home.
Im learning OpenGL and to see the basics of graphics. Its not easy, i usually read tutorials twice or more, and swithing between them to understand what they are talking about. So far im still at vertices, but the first game im going to make will be tetris. It has about all the basics a game need, although it probaly takes another few week before i start on it, because i still dont have a good image how a base game acually is made.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement