Sign in to follow this  
whitespace

help making dos program

Hello! This is my first time posting here so go easy on me. :P I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on how to make a DOS program that is multithreaded. I need to separate when I'm getting the input. I don't know the advanced studff, I'm only using a getch() method within a while() loop. So it waits for the input first before it iterates. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The reason for this is that there doesn't seem to be a gotoxy() in CodeBlocks so what I was planning on doing was repeatedly clearing the screen then printing everything. I'm making a game where you try to guess the scrambled word. I want to include a timer that's why I want to know how to do it.

oh no.. is there an alternative? I mean how do I handle the input in such a way that the main while() statement continues to loop? I've seen some DOS games, you know, the one where the graphics are just letters and numbers.

Quote:
Original post by whitespace
Console!! That's the word! I'm sorry.. I got used to the term dos.. hehe.. funny that I've seen that word in codeblocks.. Sorry bout that.

I'm sure at least 90% of everyone here has made that mistake before [grin]

Guest Anonymous Poster
It's just a compilation flag thing. The linker needs "/SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE"; look it up in the help file or on MSDN. Just avoid any graphics calls, make sure you use "_beginthread()" instead of "CreateThread()" and you should be fine.