Space Shooter music...comments please.

Started by
33 comments, last by Rain 7 18 years ago
Thanks.

Just to be absolutely clear, my comments only apply to the production values here. Not the composition, instrumentation, arrangement etc. Luckily it's really easy to fix, unlike problems in those other areas. Sorry if I seemed a little blunt!
http://www.zirconstudios.com/ - original music for video games, film, and TV.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by zircon_st
Thanks.

Just to be absolutely clear, my comments only apply to the production values here. Not the composition, instrumentation, arrangement etc. Luckily it's really easy to fix, unlike problems in those other areas. Sorry if I seemed a little blunt!

I like bluntness...bruises are much easier to treat than gashes. ;) Anyways, no need to apologize, I really needed some feedback and I got it...I am extremely fortunate to have received such good advice before I submitted the piece as a final draft.

I will have a few other pieces up for another project I am working on that is also due in a few days. I would greatly value your feedback on those pieces as well.

Thanks much Zircon.

Ryan

The clipping made my ears melt. Holy hell you need to bring the volume down.

This thing has a very militaristic vibe. IMO sounds more like battle music for an RPG than space shooter music. Maybe. I guess I can see it being used in a shooter.

It sounds cool... just bring the goddamn volume down and you'll be set.
Just for fun, heres a a few piecs I wrote a few nights ago that were written with the shooter in mind.

This is going to be a stage theme.

Tha Old School Sky Battle

and one that won't be making it into the shooter. :( (A little too old school...I didn't see the point in finishing it for now.)

Old School Space Shooter

Thanks to all who have contributed comments, I really appreciate it.

Ryan

Quote:Original post by Rain 7
In the future I'll try to save some ears and equipment...

One tip for mixing...

Use a reference recording to compare your mix. Find a commercial recording in the same style that you are working in. Run it through the the same workstation, board, and speakers that you are using. That way you can do an A/B comparison between your work and a professional track while you are mixing. This will give you clues as to where an appropriate peak and average level should be. NOTE: Don't touch the master fader when comparing tracks. Reference both tracks at the same volume.

The key here is to use a recording that is similar to what you want to achieve. Different styles of music often have differing level practices. Try listening to a classical symphony recording and a current radio pop hit back-to-back and you'll see what I mean.
I remixed everything from the original really distorted mix. To be perfectly honest, I feel that the energy level of this one is pretty crappy but I would love some comments all the same.

Old School Space Shooter

Thanks

Ryan

[Edited by - Rain 7 on March 16, 2006 4:45:35 AM]
Quote:Original post by Muzo72
One tip for mixing...

Use a reference recording to compare your mix.

Thanks but this is basically my usual principle for putting my mixes together. I am just inexperienced with using compression is all. Once I jump that hurdle the rest should be pretty easy.

Thanks though. :)

I am just inexperienced with using compression is all.

Ah, the ever-dangerous compressors and limiters! If you're using a compressor on your full mix just to increase loudness, be very careful. If you have to compress a lot at that stage, it's often advisable to go back and look at other elements of your mix.

Also, don't get too caught up in the "louder is better" mentality. Squashing things too much can kill the life of a track. Dynamics are interesting to the ear.

Hope this helps.
Yea! I totally agree that loudness for its own sake is pure crap. Its becoming quite a problem with amateur music these days and its establishing a pretty crappy standard for music listeners to become accustomed to with the music. I really just lack the experience to properly and effectively utilize dynamics in engineering, but I will get better with it. Some of my orchestral stuff utilizes dynamics a bit better.

hehe, I just started using compressors and limiters and to be perfectly honest, I have had no trouble with them yet. I don't know how to use it effectively yet however.

When I think about it...I suck!

lol but I digress.

Quote:Original post by Muzo72
I am just inexperienced with using compression is all.

Ah, the ever-dangerous compressors and limiters! If you're using a compressor on your full mix just to increase loudness, be very careful. If you have to compress a lot at that stage, it's often advisable to go back and look at other elements of your mix.

Also, don't get too caught up in the "louder is better" mentality. Squashing things too much can kill the life of a track. Dynamics are interesting to the ear.

Hope this helps.
I like the music but that distortion drives me nuts. I don't mind the volume one bit... But it sounds like my speakers are on the fritz.

I'm not bashing your work... I just think it could have been mixed better. :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement