Space Shooter music...comments please.

Started by
33 comments, last by Rain 7 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by Manip
I like the music but that distortion drives me nuts. I don't mind the volume one bit... But it sounds like my speakers are on the fritz.

I'm not bashing your work... I just think it could have been mixed better. :-)

Thanks Manip. Yea, I know the mixing sucks. I did the best I could though! I wish I had had some more time to get a better overall mix better but as it stands I don't think it will really interfere with gameplay all that much. I think I need to start studying a bit on mastering. All the volumes were different for every one of the songs which makes programming sound effects for each individual stage THAT much harder! I learned a lot from this experience and plan on getting better.

Thanks much for the comments. :)
Advertisement
I think the mixing's fine. You don't suck at all; you just need to do some editing so the distortion of the guitar synths isn't in the way. (It covers up a lot of the really good supporting instruments)

Try EQing/Filtering out the nasty ultra-high distortion on the guitars. Or may be even going back and changing settings on the distortion would be better.

Quote:Arglebargle
This thing has a very militaristic vibe. IMO sounds more like battle music for an RPG than space shooter music. Maybe. I guess I can see it being used in a shooter.
Have you never played StarFox? ^_^

Edit: Oh yeah, and about the actual music, the chording is pretty awesome at certain parts. Like 0:26 to 0:39 - that's some great ideas there; sounds like old school video game music (back when interesting but unorthodox stuff was encouraged :P ). The overall feel totally works. How old are you/how long have you been into composition?
________________________Quote:OluseyiI knew of a "Christian" couple in Nigeria who named their child "God's End-time Battle Axe." I kid you not.
Quote:Original post by Antisheep
I think the mixing's fine. You don't suck at all; you just need to do some editing so the distortion of the guitar synths isn't in the way. (It covers up a lot of the really good supporting instruments)

Try EQing/Filtering out the nasty ultra-high distortion on the guitars. Or may be even going back and changing settings on the distortion would be better.

Quote:Arglebargle
This thing has a very militaristic vibe. IMO sounds more like battle music for an RPG than space shooter music. Maybe. I guess I can see it being used in a shooter.
Have you never played StarFox? ^_^

Edit: Oh yeah, and about the actual music, the chording is pretty awesome at certain parts. Like 0:26 to 0:39 - that's some great ideas there; sounds like old school video game music (back when interesting but unorthodox stuff was encouraged :P ). The overall feel totally works. How old are you/how long have you been into composition?

Thanks. :)

Thanks for letting me know that everything sounds okay. I think the guitars are really screwing everything up, but the more I work with them, the better I get with getting a clearer mix. During the action going on ingame, the distortion might actually provide an element of tension though from a musical standpoint perhaps it doesn't work quite so well.

Yea...I'll try to get rid of some of the hi's through the equalizer. Thanks much for the input.

Ryan

Edit: I am an old school kinda guy. :) I like big fat interesting chords highlighted by subtle melodies. Some of the older scores for video games were really quite ingenious and its a shame to consider that same style of composition isn't being favored anymore... I really enjoy attempting to re-create some of those old school vibes into many of my compositions. Anyways, I think it will really work for the space shooter! At least I hope so. I'll have no way of knowing until I actually see how the music syncs up with whats happening onscreen. I am 23 and have been composing for approximately 2 years. I do pretty much everything by ear. I haven't YET had the patience for formal training. Do you write music as well?
Well, I do some writing, but life's been really busy for this past year (Senior year in high school) and I haven't done much at all. =P

I have about 6 self-taught years with guitar and bass guitar, and (not as well) drums and piano as well. (I play more by ear than by music for each of those; I unfortunately suck at reading music quickly)
Quote:I really enjoy trying to re-create some of those old school vibes into many of my compositions.

Well...you succeed. ^_^ I'm jealous. You never said what instrumental experience you had. Do you have any?
________________________Quote:OluseyiI knew of a "Christian" couple in Nigeria who named their child "God's End-time Battle Axe." I kid you not.

yea...high school doesn't leave a lot of time for hobbies...college is a bit more flexible! :)

I have about 3 years on the piano although I admit I do a bit too much dicking around when I should be practicing. Its just that when I sit down, I would rather write music than read music...I think thats my biggest problem at the moment.

If you ever happen to get any music written be sure to let me know. I'd like to check it out. :)

Ryan

Well, you can check out my web site. =P http://www.Antisheep.net (go to The Factory)

(sorry for hijacking the topic, mods. I'm done. ;)
Thanks for the link Anti-Sheep. :)

Here's another one of the pieces for the space shooter.

old school hip hop

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and respond. I appreciate it very much.

Ryan
damn dude I dig the tracks.

I can agree with it being a bit hot, but damn the man you jam the shams.

(Shams being little orange rubber duckies).
______________________Composer??
Why if it isn't the coolest musician in Fort Worth Texas...(I think) Yo Doug! Welcome to Gamedev.

Thanks for the compliments dude. Hope to talk to you very soon.

Ryan
yea this is a cool forum, I like it. And as far as being the coolest musician in cowtown, that would be no. Its so hot down here we don't know what cool is. haha.

Being cool involves some level of respect - and sure there is a lot of cows, but they couldn't tell you the difference between respect and a pair of bananas.

How many total tracks did you do for the game?
______________________Composer??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement