Looking for good game development/game programming schools on the East Coast

Started by
5 comments, last by ChurchSkiz 18 years, 1 month ago
Ive found some good schools in the mid-west and west coast...but after i graduate from HS, my parents are moving to Maryland so i've been looking to find some game developmet school anywhere on the east coast. I know Full Sail is in Florida, but thats the only one i know of. do you know of any others?
Advertisement
hahahaha stay clear from them and get a degree in Computer Science. For the extra stuff, I think they're good to take as post-graduate learning.
While I don't agree with the way the AP said that, most people think that a Computer Science degree is better for landing a game development job than a degree in game development. Not only will you probably be better equipped for whatever tasks come your way, you'll also be able to take coding jobs that aren't about game development (you'll have a harder time convincing a financial software company to hire you when all you have is a game dev degree) and there's more schools available too. And we can all name some notable schools Comp-Sci schools on the east coast, I think. :)
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
It's sad that people try to argue but then never find themselves a job cuz they don't meet the job requirements. And yes, 99.99% of the time you'll see Computer Science, so what are the odds of you getting it... be part of the higher odds before you waste your money.
This topic comes up so much it should be part of the FAQ. Rather than state my opinion, I'll give a summary:

The consensus of posters at GameDev is that it is better to get a Computer Science degree from a well-known university than to go to a game programming school such as Digipen or Full Sail. There are people that disagree with this. If you want to see all the reasons, just search these forums.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
thanx for the replies guy...yea i was looking into Full Sail... didnt know a computer science degree looks betta than a game dev degree..hmmm, so what universities would you guys recommend for computer science that are on the East Coast?
It's not that it looks better. I suggest you read Tom Sloper's Site, http://sloperama.com/advice.html . Read all the lessons first, then come back and ask questions. There's more information there then we can regurgitate back to you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement