Fraction class Reducing problem

Started by
4 comments, last by JohnBolton 18 years, 1 month ago
Hey everyone, I have a fraction class that does a bunch of things such as add,subtract,mult,reduce, e.t.c fractions. The problem i'm having is with my conversion constructor if i pass in a double number into my class (ex: Fraction b(3.90), I would expect it to return 3 9/10 but instead its returning 3 899999/1000000. What's even stranger is that if i pass in (3.70) its returning what it should 3 7/10. So now im just completely confused. Here are my two class member functions to convert from decimal to fraction and reduce. I hope someone can tell me whats going wrong. Thanks! Dario // Converts a double into a Fraction Fraction::Fraction(double ss) { WholeNum = int(ss); Numer = int((ss - WholeNum)* 1000000); Denom = 1000000; ReduceFraction(); //Call Reduce Fraction Function } // Function that Reduces the whole number,numerator // And denominator of a Fraction Object void Fraction::ReduceFraction() { int TempWholeNumber; int ReduceVal; // Make sure there is no 0 in the denominator if(Denom == 0) { cout << endl << endl; cout << "Error: 0 Found in Denominator. Press Any Key to Exit Program" << endl; cout << endl << endl; exit(1); } // Check to see if Fraction can be simplified further // Before finding the GCD. if(Numer >= Denom) { TempWholeNumber = Numer/Denom ; Numer = Numer % Denom; WholeNum = WholeNum + TempWholeNumber; } // Calls Function to find the GCD of the Fraction Object ReduceVal = abs(GCD(Numer,Denom)); // Assigns the new numerator and denominator to the fraction Numer = Numer / ReduceVal; Denom = Denom / ReduceVal; }
n/a
Advertisement
Google for an article called "What Every Computer Scientist Should know about Floating Point Numbers." To summarize, lots of decimal numbers can't be represented within floats, even simple ones like 3.8. So you get unexpected rounding errors that naturally lead to weird fractions being generated.

CM
wow, thats pretty interesting. I had no idea. Is there an actual way to fix this?
n/a
never mind, i fixed it :) Thanks for the help
n/a
Quote:Original post by MasterDario
wow, thats pretty interesting. I had no idea. Is there an actual way to fix this?

Not really. You can use fixed point math, but that requires doing everything by hand. Or a fractional class, which you're currently working on. Within the confines of float/double, though, the best you can do is account for it as best as possible.

One possibility for your case is to have a "fudge" function that attempts to convert to a more reasonable fraction. I've never tried writing one, so I'm not sure where you'd start, but its a thought.

*edit: And apparently, you can fix it. Nevermind [sad]

CM
Quote:Original post by MasterDario

There is no way to "fix" it, but the next best thing would be an algorithm that could come up with a reasonable fraction. For that algorithm, look up "Farey Series".
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement