• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shockwave

[updated]how to convert from GLSL to HLSL?

This topic is 4487 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Maybe somebody knows a program for converting from GLSL to HLSL code or can advise some article/tutorial/thread on a forum about how to convert manually GLSL instructions into HLSL one? For example I'm confused with varying variables. Thanks in advance. [Edited by - Shockwave on March 13, 2006 8:43:54 AM]

Advertisement
I don't have any resources to direct you at, but from the bits-n-pieces I've heard you'll be better off thinking at the algorithmic rather than syntactic level.

That is, pretty much all shaders break down to simple mathematical equations and texture IO - thats your common language [wink]

Jack

I have to agree with Jack,
You should understand the theory behind a technique or effect. Armed with the theory you can open up a GLSL or HLSL code base and follow what goes on inside of them. Although, I don't know of any programs that will help you convert or will automagically convert them for you.

What I suggest is take a look at the theory and then open the GLSL shader again and see if you can follow on a theory based level.

I don't know GLSL that well but I have implemented some shaders in HLSL from GLSL and from what I can see, the varying variables means that the variables changes each frame or they have the ability to vary.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

Ok thanks for your answers. :)
The reason I've asked about converter is because I have found a good tutorial about per-pixel lightning for spot, point and directional light sources but implementation is in GLSL. Maybe you can advice me some good tutorial for implementing per-pixel light for directional, point and spot light sources in HLSL?
I have downloaded a tutorial from www.ultimategameprogramming.com that covers
a per-pixel directional light and in the source code I've found that the author gives the position for his light!
As I know, directional light doesn't have a position only direction and range.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!