Sign in to follow this  
Alpha_ProgDes

adding a node to a Binary Tree from left to right

now I'm talking about plain ol' Binary Trees, not Binary Search/Sort Trees. I wanted to know (without using arrays as my base) if there is a way to add a node and have it insert and fill the tree from left to right. I've gotten as far as a 2-level depth but afterwards I get stuck. It just keeps adding nodes to the left. Any suggestions or is this an impossibility without using one of the speciality binary trees?

Ok... let me try again.

In my binary tree, I want to add a node and have it automatically populate the tree from left to right. Then go down a level, again add itself to the tree from left to right.
so...

a a
/ \ /
b c then b c
/
d

and so forth.

Clearer?

Ok. Give your tree an extra bit of information: each node keeps track of the minimum depth of each of its sub trees. If a node has no subtrees its depth is 0. If it has two subtrees its depth is min(depth(left), depth(right)). Can you see how you could use that information to decide where to add the next node?

Not really. That would cause you to create a tree where you build on the right with only one left node along the spine. Think of depth as a balancing factor. Also, it can be done iteratively.

I foresee a complication if the subtrees have equal length.

Here is an idea I'll throw out.

// assume node is a pointer type

void add(node tree, node newbie) {
list<node> nodelist
int depth = 1
list.pushback(tree)

while( !add_node (nodelist, newbie, depth) );
}

bool add_node (list&, node, depth&) {
for i from 0 to depth:
temp = list.popfront()
if either temp.child == null:
that temp.child = node
return true
else
list.pushback(temp.leftchild)
list.pushback(temp.rightchild)

depth = depth*2
}

Basically scan down the tree one level at a time, keeping track of all the nodes on a horizontal level, and adding the node to the first null encountered from left to right.

No, there are no complications if the two subtrees have equal depth. Draw out a tree where the two subtrees have equal depth that has been created by this type of algorithm. Do you see where the node would go?

I see a problem finding out how to increment the mindepth counter on each node, because if the two subtrees are equal in length, then the depth counter should not change. If they are unequal we increment the depth counter.

Let's pretend you are the recursive function.

I pass you the current node and the node to add. You see that:
curr.depth = 8
curr.left.depth = 8
curr.right.depth = 7

Do you increment the minimum depth counter?

You would add the node to the appropriate subtree. Doing so would give you sufficient information as to whether or not the increment the depth or not.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
now I'm talking about plain ol' Binary Trees, not Binary Search/Sort Trees. I wanted to know (without using arrays as my base) if there is a way to add a node and have it insert and fill the tree from left to right.
You can do the same thing that would happen when using an array, but actually use a binary tree.
All you need to do is keep track of the current number of items in the tree, which you probably do anyway. Then with that number, each bit tells you whether you go left or right during insertion.
e.g. A tree with 5 items:
      A
B C
D E
First increment the count. This gives us 6. 6 is 110 in binary. Now 0 means go left, 1 means go right. Ignore the most significant digit, and start from the next most significant bit, proceeding towards the lest significant bit.
So you go right, then insert on the left.

Now that you have 6 items, add 1 to that and get 7. 7 is 111 in binary. So you go right, then insert on the right.
Now you have 7 items. +1 gives 8. 8 = 1000. So you go left twice and insert on the left. etc...

No need for recursion, or storing data in each node, or any inefficient algorithm.[cool]

I was just thinking that it is so easy for a heap to do exactly this with no extra storage, so there has to be a way to do it with a tree. Then I just got lucky I suppose.

Quote:
Original post by iMalc
Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
now I'm talking about plain ol' Binary Trees, not Binary Search/Sort Trees. I wanted to know (without using arrays as my base) if there is a way to add a node and have it insert and fill the tree from left to right.
You can do the same thing that would happen when using an array, but actually use a binary tree.
All you need to do is keep track of the current number of items in the tree, which you probably do anyway. Then with that number, each bit tells you whether you go left or right during insertion.
e.g. A tree with 5 items:
      A
B C
D E
First increment the count. This gives us 6. 6 is 110 in binary. Now 0 means go left, 1 means go right. Ignore the most significant digit, and start from the next most significant bit, proceeding towards the lest significant bit.
So you go right, then insert on the left.

Now that you have 6 items, add 1 to that and get 7. 7 is 111 in binary. So you go right, then insert on the right.
Now you have 7 items. +1 gives 8. 8 = 1000. So you go left twice and insert on the left. etc...

No need for recursion, or storing data in each node, or any inefficient algorithm.[cool]

Dude!!! That's #@$%ing genius!!! You sir are a genius.
Now I'm still trying to figure out the mindepth thing.

If you use iMalc's algorithm, then you don't need to keep track of mindepth.

But here is how I understood the insert if you keep track of mindepth.

// untested!
// returns mindepth
int insert(node Node, node NewNode) {
if (Node.left = NULL)
Node.left = NewNode;
return 0;
else if (Node.right == NULL)
Node.right = NewNode;
return 1;

if (Node.left.mindepth <= Node.right.mindepth)
Node.mindepth = min ( Node.right.mindepth, insert(Node.left, NewNode) );
else
Node.mindepth = min ( Node.left.mindepth, insert(Node.right, NewNode) );

return Node.mindepth;
}

Add one variable to keep track of the last node. From here you can find the node to the right or left pretty easily. The other option is to thread your nodes but this is extra data dependent on N, but also constant time.

I had to do this when I was implementing a binary heap. It's not very hard.

I came up with a (not-so) novel idea.
Each node holds the count of the nodes under it plus itself
so for example if a is the root and we add nodes: b and c.
a would have a count of 3 and b = 1, c = 1 and depth = 1.

now if i have a complete and balanced binary tree of 15 nodes. i know that the root's left and right subtree have 2^(depth)-1 nodes. so i do something like this:

nodePtr = root
while (node != 0)
if (nodePtr.left.count != 2^(depth)-1 || nodePtr.left.full && nodePtr.right.full)
//move pointer down to the left node
else
//move pointer down to the right node

that should do it! granted this hit me right before i went to sleep.
hopefully that should work for me. thanks siCrane, boder, and iMalc [smile]

am pretty sure, this i can make this recursive as well (as you can see, i'm trying to get that down as well)

Why not just use arrays as your base and add your node to the end of the array? You can then use the following formulas for children and parents:

If your current node is i, then:

parent: (i-1)/2 (integer division)
left child: 2*(i+1)-1
right child: 2*(i+1)

Quote:
Original post by iMalc

Hehe... this is actually the basis of the common implementation of the discrete fast fourier transform algorithm! Any number can be assigned a position in a binary tree simply from the bit sequence in its base-2 representation. ;) If you didn't already know this iMalc, then kudos to you for picking up on it. 8)

Cheers,

Timkin