Othello: strategies

Started by
3 comments, last by Re Kaioh 23 years, 2 months ago
I''m going to develop an Othello game and I have some question... About graphics I havn''t a lot of problems, but I don''t know how to manage strategies. Only solution I''ve found is to go on with a lot of "If" to found the best movement to do, but I think this is an orrible metod and it isn''t absolutely optimized So what could I do ? Thanks ! CyA
Advertisement
Hmm.. what is Othello? Is it the two-player game on an 8x8 board where each player starts out on two tiles in the middle, and you can then "convert" enemy tiles to your color by closing them in in a line?
If so, I might be able to get you a BASIC program which does it (it was written for an ''85 computer . The basic AI algorithm behind it was to give each tile a value, i.e. the priority by which the computer tries to get onto them and prevent the human to get onto them. I can''t remember whether that AI could anticipate future moves or anything like that.. now if I can find that book...

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
That AI algorithm will be a good starting point !
Thank you, I''m waiting for that program
Hmm... I found it, but sadly I lost the disk it's on, and as it's f*cked up, cryptic, completely unstructructured BASIC code I can't just take the important stuff and copy them from the book. I hope you understand.. sorry

But then, just hop over to www.freshmeat.net and do a search for Othello. It'll give you loads of source to work on

Edit: I'm so used to using UBB code

cu,
Prefect

Edited by - Prefect on January 26, 2001 2:58:52 PM

Edited by - Prefect on January 26, 2001 2:59:43 PM
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
No problem, thanks for that site, I''ve found a lot of things
CyA !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement