Kernel aproach for game engine.

Started by
23 comments, last by Kazade 18 years, 1 month ago
I've been thinking about the kernel based design proposed in the Enginuity articles. I wonder how many people around here has already implemented such a system for their projects, and I'd also like to know your oppions in pro or against such a design. Thanks in advance. I'm all eyes.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
Uh...isn't that how everyone makes their applications?
Quote:Original post by I_Smell_Tuna
Uh...isn't that how everyone makes their applications?

I don't see why. But anyway, if do it like that, can you tell me something good or bad about it?
I've gone from a very neatly organised micro-kernel approach.

Dave
Well it's a very managed approach, if something goes wrong you can usually isolate it, and find out exactly what is going wrong in a timely manner, instead of looking through all your code trying to track down a bug.
Sounds like a prime example of You Ain't Gonna Need It to me.
For the amount of replies I got, it looks like nobody really uses this aproach.

weird. It looks pretty nice.
Are you time travellers? That would explain why things from the past appear here, well that's the impression I have when I see people talking about "neat" stuff like that, when in Java we have everything ready today with ZERO effort.

The "services" in the link you posted sound much like what a JVM would do, and for further isolating the components, in terms of independent classloaders and life-cycle management in a microkernel fashion, this would do: http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/.

All those tools are stable and has been available since 20th century. When are you from? 1990?
Just loading dll/.so's on demand will do the trick just as well... it's really nothing java specific and NOT related to this design pattern here.
Olli Salli
I base my designs off of it.

Granted, I don't use any of the code presented in the tutorials, but I do have a class hierarchy that is similar to that presented in part 2. As mentioned before, modularizing the code makes it easier to spot problems. I would imagine that it would also make it easier to convert to multithreaded code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement