Sign in to follow this  
CadeF

[Resolved][HLSL, PS 1.3]Cannot sample cube map

CadeF    421
Hey everyone, In the process of porting my ps 2.0 shaders to ps 1.3 (for Geforce 4 support), I came across this problem. Every time I try to read from a cube texture set in my app by effect.setvalue, I get this error error X4523: cannot map this dependent texture read to ps_1_3 ID3DXEffectCompiler::CompileEffect: There was an error compiling I've made a test shader, with the cubemap set up as follows texture cubesampletex; samplerCUBE texSamplerCUBETEX : TEXUNIT3 = sampler_state { Texture = (cubesampletex); MIPFILTER = ANISOTROPIC; MAGFILTER = ANISOTROPIC; MINFILTER = ANISOTROPIC; }; The code in which I sample the cubemap is float zLight = distance(lightPos, IN.UTposition); float3 vLight = lightPos.xyz - IN.UTposition.xyz; float fdepth = dot(vLight, vLight); float3 shadowsample = texCUBE(texSamplerCUBETEX, -vLight); float fshadow = (fdepth - shadowsample < fdepth * 0.1f) ? 1.0f : 0.0f; Can anyone tell me how to get this right? Thanks :) [Edited by - CadeF on March 13, 2006 4:43:59 AM]

kovacsp    306
hey,

look what i've found in the DX SDK, "texld - ps_2_0 and up" page:
Quote:
A second-order dependent texture instruction is defined as a texture instruction that reads or writes to a Temporary Register (r#) whose contents, before executing the texture instruction, depend (perhaps indirectly) on the outcome of a first-order dependent texture instruction. An (n)th-order dependent texture instruction derives from an (n - 1)th-order texture instruction.

That is, a dependent texture read is a texture read that depends on the outcome of a previous texture read. Somewhere your shader does this, and the compiler says it cannot generate valid code to a ps13 target. You either has to simplify your shader not to do dependent reads, or not use this technique on those targets (maybe a lower quality version?)

When converting shaders to lower targets, you may want to read "Pixel Shader Differences" in the DX SDK docs, and sometimes have a look at the asm code that the compiler generates, to understand the limitations, so you'll be able to overcome them faster.

kp

CadeF    421
Thanks, that cleared alot up. I guess I'll be sticking to ps 1.4, scince moving the code to calculate vLight from the PS into the VS gave me an error that I can only read and sample a cube texture from a texcoord in ps 1.4 and above.