Sign in to follow this  
surfi

Linking problem initializing COM

surfi    128
Hello. I am initializing the COM for using DirectSound. I am using the functions CoInitializeEx, CoCreateInstance (and later I will need CoUninitialize). But all of them cause a linking error of undefined reference to them. In addition, there is a first line in the error message that says: .drectve '/DEFAULTLIB:"uuid.lib" /DEFAULTLIB:"uuid.lib" unrecognized The files specified for linking are "dsound.lib" and "dxguid.lib". Here is the code (still not error handling added, I know)
#include "CDevice.h"
#include <Dsound.h>
#include <iostream>

using std::cout;
using std::endl;

namespace snd {

CDevice::CDevice () {
	HRESULT hr;

hr = CoInitializeEx (NULL, 0);
	if (FAILED(hr)) { cout << "A" << endl; };

hr = CoCreateInstance (CLSID_DirectSound8, NULL, CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER, IID_IDirectSound8, (LPVOID*)&lp_Direct_Sound);
	if (FAILED(hr)) { cout << "B" << endl; }

hr = lp_Direct_Sound->Initialize (NULL);
	if (FAILED(hr)) { cout << "C" << endl; }

HWND window_handler;
	window_handler = GetForegroundWindow ();
	hr = lp_Direct_Sound->SetCooperativeLevel (window_handler, DSSCL_PRIORITY);
	if (FAILED(hr)) { cout << "D" << endl; };
}

CDevice::~CDevice () {
	CoUninitialize ();
}

} // End of namespace

I tried before to init the COM by the indirect way, but now I need to do it this way to add effect support to the application. Does anyone knows what's the problem on here? Thanks in advance!

S1CA    1418
Make sure you link with ole32.lib (which contains the imports for CoInitializeEx etc).

/DEFAULTLIB: is the linker option that specifies the default libraries to link against - any libraries you specify in the 'Input' section of the MSVC linker settings gets turned into a /DEFAULTLIB. Libraries which have directives to include other libraries can also insert /DEFAULTLIB's into your link settings.

If you're getting a warning or error about it, then either a library name or the /DEFAULTLIB switch has been specified in the wrong place (e.g. compilation settings, or a path rather than the input libraries) OR the version of the linker you're using doesn't understand that switch (either in your project or embedded in the lib you're linking with) - are you using an old compiler/linker (MSVC6 or an older version of the Intel compiler perhaps?) or maybe a non-MS compiler.

If it's just a warning you're getting, then in this case, it's nothing to worry about once you get things linking (you may need to explicitly link to uuid.lib though)

surfi    128
Very helpful, since I didn't link ole32.lib (now I know). I'm still having a warning message about uuid.lib (which I am now linking explicitly), but the program is finally linking and working. And about the compiler, you were right, it is not MVS. It is DevC++. Well, thanks again!