Sign in to follow this  
suliman

MSVC++ (how to see "memberlists")

Hi ive had this problem before but never seem to understand how to solve it. You know if i have a class and a pointer to that class im supposed to see the available members/functions if i write: myPointer-> A list will appear. But only sontimes, only in some files and in some cases it seem. What is the correct way to do /setup ptoject/include so i always get this info? Thanks a lot Erik

You should check out Visual Assist X.
I can't imagine coding without it now.
It greatly decreases development time, since you only have to type about 50% as much once you get used to it...

[Edited by - raz0r on March 13, 2006 1:11:18 PM]

In Visual Studio the mechansism you are talking about is known as "Intellisense." Unfortunately, since C++ is quite a difficult language to parse, sometimes the IDE just gets confused and can't properly figure out what to display. This often happens in the presence of complex macros or templates. There isn't much you can do to fix the problem. Sometimes cleaning the solution and rebuiling can help, other times you simply have to rewrite the offending code (and its hard to figure out what code is actually breaking the system -- and in any case you shouldn't base a rewrite of your code on whether or not Intellisense can grok it).

As raz0r pointed out, Visual Assist X enhances the code completion features of the IDE. It's a wonderful tool, but its not free.