Sign in to follow this  
Dot5

interesting rant

Yeah, someone grew up and found that there's also practical concerns with careers and that product marketing, while distasteful, is of paramount importance in consumer sales.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I didnt read it like that !

It raises the discussion about what is more important. The marketing or the product.

I don't think people should read into these forum posts. However, what I found interesting was the change this guy has noticed over the years. In particular the transition from developer led games to marketing led products that, lets be honest here, offer little inovation in the gameplay.

Oh, because the glut of platformers, bard's tale style RPGs, quake clones and war2 rehashes made 10-15 years ago when this guy started were the paragon of innovation...

yes.

So you think todays games still offer that level of innovation?

I am not advocating the exact details of what this guy is talking about, but you can't really deny todays games, while unique in themselves (Halo is not CoD for example) hardly any offer anything really new anymore. Not the way that Quake and Hexen/heretic etc offered over Doom with thier true 3D environment (look up and down no less), and that Wolfenstien gave when it appeared.

We do have innovative games nowadays, monkey ball is a good example. Been done before? maybe but not that well. However, very few (if any of late) of the big budget games are innovative.

I agree with that part of it anyway.