• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BTownTKD

sorting a hash_map

This topic is 4486 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hash_map seems so ugly... I have a hash_map of type <string, int>, and need to sort from highest to lowest by the int values... I'm using g++. What would be the easiest function to do that with? [Edited by - BTownTKD on April 23, 2009 9:31:53 AM]

Advertisement
You can't sort a hash_map, especially by value. You can copy the elements into a different container and sort it, though.

//pseudo
for(Iterator i = myHashMap.begin(); i != myHashmap.end(); ++i)
myMap[i->second] = i->first;

CM

What function, then, would be the fastest for sorting a map<string, int> by the int values? Is there a quick, easy function in the <algorithm> library?

Quote:
Original post by BTownTKD
What function, then, would be the fastest for sorting a map<string, int> by the int values? Is there a quick, easy function in the <algorithm> library?

You could use std::transform to transform your source map into a map<int, string>, given a simple adapting functor.

Quote:
Original post by Bregma
Quote:
Original post by BTownTKD

You could use std::transform to transform your source map into a map<int, string>, given a simple adapting functor.

He would probably need a multi_map in that case.

Here's what I did... maybe someone can tell me if this is good thinking or not.

STL's sort requires random-access iterators -- like those found in a vector -- so I copied all the data in my hash_map over to a vector< pair< string, int> >, and created a custom function that compares two pair<string, int>s, and returns true if the first one is less than the second one...

I then called sort(tempVector.begin(), tempVector.end(), compare);

Note: compare is my function that compares 2 pair<string, int>s.

Is this a rediculous solution, or does it look pretty solid?

It is solid, but:

vector has a "sort" member function not.
2° as bregma suggested, it would be faster and more intuitive to create a multi_map<int,string> from your map.

[Edited by - ToohrVyk on March 13, 2006 3:17:49 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
1° vector has a "sort" member function

No it doesn't.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!