Torque Engine???

Started by
8 comments, last by Guimo 18 years ago
Does anyone have any experience using the torque engine? I want to purchase it so I can implement my blender objects into it and hopefully come up with a game demo with the help of some programmers and artists. Maybe over the course of a year and a half to 2 years. But I've never used torque before, so I don't know what its like. I've heard mixed reviews about it. Some think its great, but others say theres too many technical flaws. Also, what games on the market (Professional and Indie) were created with the torque engine? If torque isnt worth purchasing, is there any engine that is? I mean within the budget of an indie team? Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by double O seven
If torque isnt worth purchasing, is there any engine that is? I mean within the budget of an indie team?

Exactly how big is the budget? There are many good engines out there and often quality correlates with price.

Indie budgets vary widly. When I think "Indie" I think of several people who have published games independantly (often through shareware) and are making a decent living off it. If you mean "indie" as "a group of people who are working together after work/school trying to make a game", that is altogether different.

Torque licenses for "a few programmers and artists" can easily get up to $10K or more, which is why I am asking. It is single seat; I have two machines that I develop on and a third that I only have around for testing. Depending on the license details that might mean $1500 just for one individual.
Well, if you want to look at it like that, I guess we really cant call ourselves Indie developers. But yeah, work is first for us and games follow closely behind. We havent published anything yet, but we wouldn't have gotten as far as we have if we didn't have jobs to fund our project.
As for the team I'm with, we don't have all that much money to work with, thats why I was kinda looking into the idea of making something from the torque engine because its only $100, and an additional $395 if your game profits beyond 250K. Thats a good price and everything, but I still don't want to get stiffed out of $100 on something that turns out to be crap. The old saying is "You get what you pay for".
Their web site offers a free demo and a lot of html documentation. Given their price and reputation, I would expect that reviewing those would give you a good feel for if their engine is right for you.

Have you reviewed those? Do those and the demos look something like your own goals?

I suspect the good and bad you've heard about the engine are based on the research others did (or didn't do) before using the tool.

It's true for all frameworks -- if your ideas fit the framework then it can make your implementation easier. If your ideas don't fit the framework, you'll be better off without it.
torque is perfect for indie just buy it!
Download the Torque demo. It contains the engine which you can fully modify (=use torque script) for FREE.

Visit www.garagegames.com to see some games that have been made with Torque (not all of them are made with Torque, ThinkTanks is at least). And to answer your question about "worth purchasing" - I believe it depends on your game. Many people have purchased Blitz3D/BlitzMax, many use DarkBasic (Pro), many use Torque. Other (even free) engines can be found at www.devmaster.net
---Polycount Productions - An Indie Online Multiplayer Games CompanyGameProducer.net - Daily Ideas, Hints and Inspiration for Indie Game DevelopersIndie Game Sales Statistics - downloads, sales and other figures
Quote:Original post by frob
Quote:Original post by double O seven
If torque isnt worth purchasing, is there any engine that is? I mean within the budget of an indie team?

Exactly how big is the budget? There are many good engines out there and often quality correlates with price.

Indie budgets vary widly. When I think "Indie" I think of several people who have published games independantly (often through shareware) and are making a decent living off it. If you mean "indie" as "a group of people who are working together after work/school trying to make a game", that is altogether different.

Torque licenses for "a few programmers and artists" can easily get up to $10K or more, which is why I am asking. It is single seat; I have two machines that I develop on and a third that I only have around for testing. Depending on the license details that might mean $1500 just for one individual.

You don't have a license, do you?

Because you don't have to get a license for graphics people, only for the programmers. This is well known within the community.
Quote:Original post by PolycountProductions
Many people have purchased Blitz3D/BlitzMax, many use DarkBasic (Pro), many use Torque.

torque is better than Blitz3D/BlitzMax and DarkBasic (Pro) ;)

You are right !!
Many reviews were made for older versions of the TGE. You should review the docs and get the current release demo and judge for yourself.

Luck!
Guimo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement