*Update* In Space, no one can hear you playing a puzzle game...

Started by
9 comments, last by Antisheep 18 years ago
Damnation, fixed those links... *Update* Added Track 4 for critique! Tell me if it fits in with the rest! I thought I'd post these here, glad to see more people posting tracks here and getting some useful criticism. They are a few of the tracks I'm working on now for a puzzle game, which I can't name yet. Basically, I was asked for a few looping, spacey, relaxed tracks. I have about 5 or so in progress, yet these three are making the most progress. *Now 4* Track 1 Track 2 Track 3 Track 4 I assure you they are both spacy and relaxing, as my wife almost always fall asleep to them. I've fallen asleep to them as well, only because my little girl wakes me up at 6AM every morning and I don't start on projects til around midnight. My fault entirely... But I digress. My favorite is #2. I added some tense moments here and there to make sure no one fell asleep while playing the game...I mean, I do want to get hired again. So leave any comments you wish, ask any questions you want, enjoy! Tony [Edited by - anthemaudio on March 22, 2006 8:28:48 PM]
Advertisement
...ZZZ...

zzz

zzz...

Yea...ZZZ

zzz

I like...ZZZ...

...IT!

A little too slow and depressive for me but the drums sound top notch and the mood is definitely good for a game that takes a while to settle into.

My take on puzzle games is to give them a bit higher energy to keep the brain engaged. Not so much that it creates spazms, but enough to spark some electrical activity. Your music is good and very appropriate, but I wouldn't mind seeing how it would sound with about a 20 to 40 bpm increase.

But yea...you are giving them exactly what they are looking for and I think it will work well for a puzzle game.

On another note... These pieces are more chill than Brahm's Lullaby. I think I am going to take a nap.
I 'spreciate it.
I like the music.

But funny you should mention the drums -- I don't think they sound very good. The samples, I mean; they sound pretty muddy.
Yeah...it's not the samples...more the filter and EQ I processed them with. I planned on doing some cutoff filter automation but never really got to it. I was in fact going for a processed sound throughout the tracks, and notched some 3k-5k out to make room for a SFX cue, but it may be a bit overkill...mud wise.

Or maybe...it's SPACE MUD!

We'll see, I ain't gonna sell them no murky drum tracks if'n they don't want'em. Thanks for listening and the critique!

Tony
That's cool -- I didn't mean to sound harsh, just wanted to point a potentially simple way to make it sound a bit better
i like number 1 and 2... number 2 is really good.

The ramdom / apegiated bell sound in track 3 is a bit annoying and the drum inst so nice, i had the feeling the instruments were not syncronised ( not in a clever jazzy way ;)

number 2 is definitly a winner... does it fit the theme ? what is the theme for this puzzle game ? space ? arty design stuff ?
Quote:Original post by sinx
i like number 1 and 2... number 2 is really good.

The ramdom / apegiated bell sound in track 3 is a bit annoying and the drum inst so nice

I agree with this, I can't say if it's due to syncronisation though.
You know what? I think it's two things with the drums on track 3. One...two much reverb. I was going for space drums but the verb is washing it all away.

Secondly, I hate using loops and samples (unless that's what they ask for) so I write a lot of little variation in the rhythms. Sometimes it's shuffly, rocky, jazzy or just too obtuse to be classified, but I've always somehow managed it to fit. That part isn't the problem, it's that I have it bussed out to an aux with a delay on it (one side matched to 1/2 tempo, the other side to 3/2 tempo) and that by itself can get you some funky syncopation. So when the drums are really swingin' around the beats and that off-kilter delay is joining in you can get somethings that are at the very least irregular.

What I really need to do is automate that bus and have my fun delay only pop up when it needs to instead of just running a static pass like it is now.

I'll play with it some more and try to get something more focused. Of course, my client is happy with them (he agrees about the reverb though) and he's my ultimate critic.

Speaking of which, the "arpeggiated bell" is odd I know. That was just an improvisation I played over a piece and it just seemed to fit so I worked it in a few times (after shifting a note or two and some quantizzle) and I grew to like it but always questioned it in the back of my mind. Two things convinced me not to worry: One, he loves it and said it reminds him of a piece in Shadowgate for NES. I remember Shadowgate but I never played it. Two, I played the newest build he sent me and it fits in perfectly, it's so off kilter and out of nowhere it adds some tension where there wasn't any before. It's a nice addition to the gameplay now, which is really a place where we all want our compositions to be, right?

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to say anything about the game specifically quite yet. All I can say is it's a space puzzle game and he asked for 4 non-techno, spacy, relaxing tracks. I will tell you it looks great so far and I can't wait to see it finished. I'm sure it will be announced here and everywhere else when he's done and then you can see if it matches well.(I'll post the 4th song in a day or two.)

Thanks so much for listening everybody! I sincerely appreciate the time you took and the comments you made!

Tony
Track 4 is up!

Track 4

This one might be a little different than the rest but still kind of fits the description. Is it too busy? Too creepy? I like it a lot but admit it's a little different strain than the first three.

Any opinions?

Tony

[Edited by - anthemaudio on March 22, 2006 8:44:05 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement