RPG based on tiled mapping

Started by
19 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by streamer
Well firstly you need to learn c++ basics and then some advanced features.
After that you need to deceide if you want to write games in OpenGL or DirectX.

I disagree. There are many many other API's out there to choose from.
Quote:Anyway tetris is a simple game, but not so simple to make. You can make it with bunch of if commands, but more elegant solutions will include bit operations.

What do you mean by that? Maybe in the old days(ie the 80's) when memory and speed were concerns, but nowadays you'd never need to use bit-wise operations to make tetris. IMHO it would be far from elegant.
Quote:If you don't know c++ you'll never be able to program a game.

Absolute BS. I've made tons of games in plain C, BASIC and ASM. Not to mention all the games out there made in Pascal, Python, even PHP and Java.
Advertisement
@SonicD007:

Truth be told, with the kind of immediate results that you are looking for, GameMaker might be the thing for you.

No offense, but you seem to be driven by immediate results, and seem to be trivializing the role of programming(among other things). Because of this, you are likely to be very frustrated with C++, and there is a tendency for people in a situation similar to yours (I've seen more than a few) to simply give up on learning to program.

I have been programming for 18 years. I have been programming in C++ for 7. I have not once written a full blown 2D graphical RPG. The closest I have gotten is Diamond Maze.

So, if you want to learn to program, that's great. Learn to program. If you want to immediately dive in and make your 2D RPG, then use GameMaker. It has a lower learning curve so you won't have spent so much energy by the time you are ready to give up.

For more information on items like this, I suggest looking at the archives of the GameDev.net "Help Wanted" forums.

Or, for easy reference:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=26311

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=26633

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=26647

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=28065

(I just looked at the oldest few pages... there are more)

Get off my lawn!

Thanks tanstaffl, I'll look into the gamemaker. I will NEVER ever give u on programming! I want to do this as a living. I still have time anyway, I'm only 14 and we're gonna learn it in school. Also i plan on going to a collage that teaches programming. Thank you for all your help and, you kinda got me down on the wanting to get immidiate results...lol...anyway, i appreciate the help.

P.S. I am currently helping someone program a megaman online rpg game.
Quote:Original post by Cosmic R
Well firstly you need to learn c++ basics and then some advanced features.
After that you need to deceide if you want to write games in OpenGL or DirectX.

I disagree. There are many many other API's out there to choose from.
Quote:Anyway tetris is a simple game, but not so simple to make. You can make it with bunch of if commands, but more elegant solutions will include bit operations.

What do you mean by that? Maybe in the old days(ie the 80's) when memory and speed were concerns, but nowadays you'd never need to use bit-wise operations to make tetris. IMHO it would be far from elegant.
Quote:If you don't know c++ you'll never be able to program a game.

Absolute BS. I've made tons of games in plain C, BASIC and ASM. Not to mention all the games out there made in Pascal, Python, even PHP and Java.

If you look at first post:

Quote:Original post by SonicD007
I'm trying to make my friend a 2d RPG game based on dragonball z,....I'm using windows api c++ language and a dev c++ compiler....

I wrote my reply according to this. He is using c++. Anyway, these days if someone wants to be professional programmer, c++ is must. You didn't thought that Doom 3 is writen in BASIC, didn't you [smile] ? Doom 3 is mx of c++, OpenGL and asm. Beside OpenGL and DirectX what kind of 3D API do you know? There is a bunch of engines, but all of them are built upon one of this two.
And "nowdays" I made a tetris clone. With bit-wise operations. Core of program is made in 100 line. And beleive me it IS faster, clean programming code.
But on the other hand if somebody don't understand basics of c++ programming, he is far away from making any serious product. Yeah again, you can make games in java, php, basic etc. Personaly I started programming on my Commodore 64, 15 years ago, learned C64 asm, moved to amiga, learned AMOS basic (does anyone remember AMOS[smile]), and when I bought my first PC, I started to learn c++, because all games where made in c++. After that my next step where DirectX.
And now I'm still not fully satisfied with my self. After 15 years of learning, I'm still not sure that I'm good enough to make a fully comercial game.
But that's my opinion.
And Sonic there is one easy alternative, if you want to be a programmer.

Look at http://www.blitzbasic.com/
And if somebody interested here is a link:

http://www.electricstreams.com/tutorials/index.htm

-Download G-MUD
-Compile server/client
-Start server
-Start client
-Push login button (username: user password:password)
-.. or create new user.

If you look at first post:

I'm trying to make my friend a 2d RPG game based on dragonball z,....I'm using windows api c++ language and a dev c++ compiler....

I wrote my reply according to this. He is using c++. Anyway, these days if someone wants to be professional programmer, c++ is must. You didn't thought that Doom 3 is writen in BASIC, didn't you [smile] ? Doom 3 is mx of c++, OpenGL and asm. Beside OpenGL and DirectX what kind of 3D API do you know? There is a bunch of engines, but all of them are built upon one of this two.

well if you based your reply on his first post, you would have noticed he wants to make a 2D rpg game, not 3d. I think you gave bad advice to a beginner. I mean with 15 years experience surely you know you have to crawl before you can walk. chucking someone into c++ and directx is like throwing someone in the deep end. sure what you said was correct, for a professional commercial quality game, its almost crazy not to use c++ and dx or opengl, but since when was the OP a professional?
Quote:
And "nowdays" I made a tetris clone. With bit-wise operations. Core of program is made in 100 line. And beleive me it IS faster, clean programming code.

good for you. I just didnt understand why you felt the need to suggest it in the first place?
Quote:
But on the other hand if somebody don't understand basics of c++ programming, he is far away from making any serious product. Yeah again, you can make games in java, php, basic etc. Personaly I started programming on my Commodore 64, 15 years ago, learned C64 asm, moved to amiga, learned AMOS basic (does anyone remember AMOS[smile]), and when I bought my first PC, I started to learn c++, because all games where made in c++. After that my next step where DirectX.
And now I'm still not fully satisfied with my self. After 15 years of learning, I'm still not sure that I'm good enough to make a fully comercial game.
But that's my opinion.
And Sonic there is one easy alternative, if you want to be a programmer.

Look at http://www.blitzbasic.com/

I followed a similar path :) All I'm saying is, we shouldnt go out recommending the hardest solution for all these kids that want to make games. Blitzbasic is a good starting point for kids under 15(sorry if you're older sonicd007, but I get the impression you're young). A statement like "If you don't know c++ you'll never be able to program a game." is a great way to turn people off the whole idea.
Well hmmm.. I'm sorry Cosmic R. You gotta point. [smile]
Yea, I'm under 15(I'm actually 14 turning 15 in may :)). Anyway, thanks for the help even with the whole "If you don't know c++ you'll never be able to program" I am still getting the hang of c++. I'm startiing to understand more and more of what I see in my book as I post on here and look at source code for games other people have made. I have gotten ALOT better at understanding the compiler errors, which I used to get like CRAZY because I didn't know what I was doing, and now, I can fix most of my errors in my programs. I am currently going to try making a sprite using a game engine I have, gonna implement some movement of it, and I'm gonna start the game out very ver VERY small. As I understand more and more, I'm going to add more thing to it. Eventually I'm going to add sound, sprite collision detection, learn tile mapping, and tons of other things to improve the game, but for now I am going to just make the sprite and background, and add movement to it. Once I do that, I am going to try my luck at tile based maps or maybe add a few boundries and a better map. I'll make it an okay game for the first real game I make...

P.S. When I do make this little project, I'll post it on a site or something, and you guys can tell me what you think of it :)
P.S. When I do make this little project, ...

Do watch out, these things tend to get a little more complicated than they seem they'll be at first glance!
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
[grin]yeah. my "little project" when I started to learn c++ & directx at once ended with 800.000 lines of code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement