RPG based on tiled mapping

Started by
19 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 1 month ago
I'm trying to make my friend a 2d RPG game based on dragonball z, and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can download source code that shows how to make tiled maps, use them, and maybe show a full RPG game that was made that has a battle system class at least. I need to see a battle system class because I'm still fuzzy on freaking classes and they drive me nutts!! >.< I'm using windows api c++ language and a dev c++ compiler. All help would be appreciated. Links to other pages or tutorials or something is fine. I just need to find something that will help me learn =( p.s. I looked at a tile base tutorial here on game dev that talks about multiple layers and special tiles that would show a roof when the character walks on a certain tile and stuff like that. Also, I'm using mappy to make the maps. Thanks.
Advertisement
Look on happypenguin.org for lots of open source games.
Thanks boder.

Can someone just show me an example game engine class. What I have in my book doesnt clear things up well enough since it isnt for game programming.

class BattleSystem {
private:
//idk what to put
public:
//still now sure...
protected:
//you get the picture :(
}

Also, just put a line of code or something that shows a function like void attack or something. Thanks. That's good for now. :)
While we all appreciate your drive and zeal for the project you have taken on yourself, and while I'm absolutely certain that your game idea is wonderful, I am going to suggest starting off with a smaller project, a much smaller project.

Get off my lawn!

=( aw. Ok, any idea what i should make first? I know the basic windows application, and I tried the tetris game, but have failed cause I don't get it...heh...anyway though, can i still just get an idea of how I'd make the class for future refrence?
you dont get how to play tetris or you dont get why you need to make it?

If you're having trouble with making a simple tetris game, you might need to reconsider making an rpg. what part of tetris didnt you 'get'?
Well firstly you need to learn c++ basics and then some advanced features.
After that you need to deceide if you want to write games in OpenGL or DirectX.
Download some examples from net, play with them and after you understand what you are doing, you'll know how to make a game.
Anyway tetris is a simple game, but not so simple to make. You can make it with bunch of if commands, but more elegant solutions will include bit operations.
If you don't know c++ you'll never be able to program a game.

About Tetirs, yea I didn't understand all the code I saw with columns and tiles and stuff. There were for statements that apparently drew the tiles, but I'm not going to look at Tetris right now. Code_Master on the IRC channel of GameDev is helping me out. Right now I'm going to start slower again. I'm making an ant game little by little :)

P.S. I understand C++ for the most part. I know like all the basics that I would need for a game.
Hm I have somewhere on my PC a DirectX based diablo style RPG, complete with source code, graphic, sound, and stuff like that. If you are interested I'll put it on net and send you a link.
If you can't make tetris, you are far from ready to make an rpg or just about any other game type. Start with pong maybe, then a slightly more complex version, like breakout/arkanoid. When the design and code for games like those come easy you are ready to move on. Starting on anything more complex is likely to lead to frustration and giving up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement