Adventure Music....comments please

Started by
5 comments, last by Rain 7 18 years, 1 month ago
I am working on some music for a contracted game (due in a few days) (/freaking out) and could really use some comments in regards to musicality and pacing...which I feel is a bit off with Suspense 1. I am writing some ambient/thematic type music with these 2. This is a first for me in this genre so I am not quite sure if it is up to snuff. I feel its okay, but I would like to hear what other people might have to say about it. 1) http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rain/SUSPENSE1.mp3 This piece feels a bit jumbled...there is a lot going on with this one and the sound is getting on well but I don't feel that it is at all fluid from a compositional standpoint...perhaps it is fine and it is unnecessary to make changes. If not, some feedback on how the piece could flow better from section to section would be freaking awesome. 2) http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rain/SCARY1.mp3 Does this capture the emotion of Scary...ness? And i know there is a blip in the speaker when it loops but how does it sit with you? Thanks so much Ryan Reilly
Advertisement
Hey man,
I like both pieces--you weren't kidding when you said you had gotten better at mastering and such. The mix of these sounds great!

Compositionally, the only part of the suspense piece that bothers me at all is the section right before the middle--lots of strings at syncopated tritones. I think you could spend some time and put those string hits into an NN-XT that is loaded with the Marcato string sounds--it would really enhance the sort of ragged, choppy quality that you seem to be going for. This first section with that tritone idea seems a little sparse--some low brass would really fill it out; at the moment, I almost feel like you could add some maracas and dance to it.

The scary one works really well. If you want to make it feel more ominous, try adding some non-musical effects to it; at the risk of being pompous, here's a link to a song that I did that with, and here is another one. See if you like it, if it's not your style, then I'd say it's fine the way it is.

Other than that, I like both of these. Nice work!
Quote:Original post by Blaise Douros
Hey man,
I like both pieces--you weren't kidding when you said you had gotten better at mastering and such. The mix of these sounds great!

Compositionally, the only part of the suspense piece that bothers me at all is the section right before the middle--lots of strings at syncopated tritones. I think you could spend some time and put those string hits into an NN-XT that is loaded with the Marcato string sounds--it would really enhance the sort of ragged, choppy quality that you seem to be going for. This first section with that tritone idea seems a little sparse--some low brass would really fill it out; at the moment, I almost feel like you could add some maracas and dance to it.

The scary one works really well. If you want to make it feel more ominous, try adding some non-musical effects to it; at the risk of being pompous, here /a> is another one. See if you like it, if it's not your style, then I'd say it's fine the way it is.

Ah, Blaise. Whats up bud?

Thanks man! I've been working really hard at mixing lately...even though I still pretty much suck. Yea, I dig what you're saying about the choppiness. It does sound a bit thin and craptastic with those strings halfway through! It needs some harmonic reinforcement. I will see what I can do with that. Is there a good brass patch in Reason? Everything I've worked with with in the brass section sucks so far.

Can you try the link again? I'd really like to hear your piece...you pompous sounding bastard. :)

Thanks Blaise

Ryan

Yeah, you're on to something good here.

I do think the suspense one wasn't suspenseful enough... the quick string passages almost lend a "happy" vibe. Maybe some dissonant underscore to add to the mood? Some horns like Blaise said would work fine.

The Scary one had a good ambient feel... but again, I almost wished for more dissonance. Maybe some light, upper-register strings in the background, to lend an air of menace.

Sounds pretty nice overall though.
Quote:Original post by Arglebargle
Yeah, you're on to something good here.

I do think the suspense one wasn't suspenseful enough... the quick string passages almost lend a "happy" vibe. Maybe some dissonant underscore to add to the mood? Some horns like Blaise said would work fine.

The Scary one had a good ambient feel... but again, I almost wished for more dissonance. Maybe some light, upper-register strings in the background, to lend an air of menace.

Sounds pretty nice overall though.

Arglebargle, thanks. I totally dig where you are coming from. I think some high pitched dissonant strings would really add to the mood, if I can find the right place to put them in. The suspense theme, seems a bit too 'sweet'. I'll try to darken the mood a bit. Thanks for the feedback.

-Ryan

Heh, I mistyped some html there. The clickies should be fixed now.

As for brass patches: go to your Orkester soundbank, and check out the French Horn Section patches--those are pretty good, and if you sweeten it with a little of the Trombone or Tuba patches, you should have some nice meaty brass.
Quote:Original post by Blaise Douros
Heh, I mistyped some html there. The clickies should be fixed now.

As for brass patches: go to your Orkester soundbank, and check out the French Horn Section patches--those are pretty good, and if you sweeten it with a little of the Trombone or Tuba patches, you should have some nice meaty brass.

Cool man. Ya know they will actually be providing some of the sound effects for the game so I won't worry about adding that myself that as much for right now.

I will try to check out some of the French horn sections.

As always thanks

Ryan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement