Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PsycoBlade

Filters.... i guess that's the right word..

PsycoBlade    122
Is there something you can put in between PR_RenderFrame and PR_Flip to apply a filter to the backbuffer to yeild special effects like making the screen wavy or making it fade to white or something like that. For example, if any of you have played a console RPG (like Final Fantasy 7 for example), when you get in a battle the screen gets all blurry and twisted up or ripples and zooms, etc and then does some crazy fading into the battle scene. How could I do this? -Rich

ChrisE    184
A) Draw the scene, then lock the backbuffer and modify it with direct screen writes.

B) If your card supports it, you can do some weird effects using environmental bump mapping (like I did with the water rippling)

If you want something that works on all hardware in every bit depth you''re going to have to use slow ugly method A.

PsycoBlade    122
Method A sounds good. I''m not going to be using it very often in the program, but I need it for a specific event during the game. Now all that sounds wonderful.. but i''m not exactly sure how to do those things you mentioned. If you could point me in the right direction, that would be great.
-Rich