• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
blaze02

stdext::hash_map

This topic is 4486 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You can skip all this if you don't care about my code :) I'm using hash_map to convert (const char *)'s into unsigned ints that index positions in a vector. So I've got a bunch of filenames, some of which can be duplicates, different cases, or prefixed with slashes, whatever. Given a unique filename, it hashes to an index into a vector (a non-unique index; 2 files can point to the same spot in the vector). For now, I'm #define'ing all my filenames so they are all different. The way the code works is: 1) Call GetIndex(std::string filename) to get the index. This will load the texture in a seperate thread if necessary. 2) Call GetTexture(unsigned int index) to get the texture pointer. This will usually return NULL the first call because the texture is not loaded yet. PROBLEM: So my problem is pretty weird. I have a stdext::hash_map<const char*, unsigned int> STRING2UINT; STRING2UINT StringToIndex; Key type is a const char *, but I'm using std::string so I .c_str() every time I want to index the hash_map. I call StringToIndex[filename.c_str()] = index; to add an filename / index association. I add an association on only one line of my code. I call iter = StringToIndex.find(filename.c_str()); to get an iterator and iter->first && iter->second are the key = const char * && type = unsigned int index. My code adds 4 files without a problem. All of them look something like ART//<filename>.png Then when it goes to load the 5th file, the find method returns an iterator with ->first exactly the same as my 5th file, but ->second is the index to the 1st file. Also, I've changed my code to have a dummy node at the front of the vector, so index = 0 should never happen. And it doesn't, the iterator->second is now 1, which is the first texture. The code is fairly small (350 lines). So the problem is I only add an association into the hash_map at one spot. Then, an association is found that is wrong and I didn't add it. Any ideas?

Advertisement
First, did you verify correct construction and population of the stdext::hash_map?

The indices in a std::map or stdext::hash_map are compared using std::less, which, for const char *, is operator<. Two "identical" strings referred to by different pointers will be recognized as different values. Use std::string for your key type.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
First, did you verify correct construction and population of the stdext::hash_map?

The indices in a std::map or stdext::hash_map are compared using std::less, which, for const char *, is operator<. Two "identical" strings referred to by different pointers will be recognized as different values. Use std::string for your key type.

That was my first thought as well, that the default hash [which won't be std::less, by the way] wouldn't know to deal with pointers. However, SGIs page says that their implementation is specialized for const char* keys, which I would assume means that it isn't doing a naive pointer comparison. That might still be the problem, of course, since he probably isn't using SGIs implementation.

Personally, I've never used hash_map, so I'm not much help.

CM

How would I go about verifying correct construction and population? Most of all my debug'ing values can't read into a hash_map. Like I said, it works fine for the first 4 filenames.

I was using (const char *) because I figured it was a specialized template.

Well... it turns out it works with std::string. I'm not entirely sure where the problem was, I'll let you know if I figure out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!