Question

Started by
5 comments, last by Tessellator 18 years, 1 month ago
Is the inverse of an orthonormal basis always equal to the transpose?
Advertisement
Indeed. This is one of the many optimizations you can employ when working with 3x3 rotation matrices (or a 4x4 transformation matrix, as long as you handle the rotation and translation components separately).
That's nifty. I saw how gluLookAt worked and wondered why they constructed the matrix that way.

Which is a better coordinate system, left-handed or right-handed? Which is more popular?
Quote:Original post by Boder
That's nifty. I saw how gluLookAt worked and wondered why they constructed the matrix that way.
Note that the gluLookAt() implementation is based not only on the inverse-transpose equivalency, but also on the property (AB)^-1 = B^-1*A^-1.
Quote:Which is a better coordinate system, left-handed or right-handed? Which is more popular?
That's sort of unrelated, but basically:

1. DirectX is LH but offers RH versions of most functions
2. OpenGL is RH, but can probably be coerced into being LH by constructing your own matrices
3. I think most math and physics references assume a RH system
4. I don't know what the various modelling programs use, but google will probably tell you

Once you understand the underlying math, switching back and forth between the two when necessary isn't too hard.
Quote:Original post by Boder
Which is a better coordinate system, left-handed or right-handed?

Neither is better. The question is akin to "which is better, clockwise or anticlockwise?"

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Are eigenvectors and eigenvalues used in 3D graphics?
Yes :).

One example use is helping fit Oriented Bounding Boxes (OBBs) to geometry.

T

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement