Please Help Choose One

Started by
8 comments, last by Kaze 18 years, 1 month ago
I have decided to give alot of time and effort to the design of ONE of the following games over the next year or so. The reason for this is to get a long awaited project done so I can post a finnished product over the internet. Please look at the following FOUR game titles and choose from them the ONE that you would like to see further developed. After i get about 10-20 responses i will do a review of the top TWO titles furthering thier definition of detail. Make any and all comments about the games but please choose ONE as your favorite. Questions and thoughts will be addresed so please post them. All titles will be for the PC. Some titles have multiple Concepts of Goals, wich means that it is up in the air still exactly what that is, please give input to any of them but try and choose a single Title and the Concepts and Goal will be further reviewed later. Thank You and Enjoy "MONKEY BUSYNESS" (MB) GENRE: Is a 2D Bean style game for a single player with a Fixed side view of the stage. Multi-player is very much a possibility with further contemplation. CONCEPT(1): You are an escaped Monkey who has found himself in a large warehouse full of an assortment of Cardboard Boxes, Wooden Crates and Metal Containers. Each is stacked so not to crush the weaker boxes below them, but as a curious Monkey you are able to pull exposed contaners from the pile and place them where you please. This causes the pile to react accordingly and under the right stress will break weaker boxes under the weight of the others. GOAL: Break as many boxes as you can using the weight of the other boxes, note that it is easy to crush the Cardboard Boxes but the Metal Containers are much more difficult, and multiple destruction of boxes will excite the Monkey for further points. Be carful, you will run out of room quickly if you dont act quick for further containers will be dropped in from the top of the Warehouse. CONCEPT(2): Labor laws have got out of control and so people are looking to Monkeys to pick up the slack. As a specialy trained Primate you must properly order a variety of Boxes, Crates and Containers. You will be shown up to 5 differant Formations that you must order the boxes into, if you succed then a lift will come a cart it away, if you do not meet the quota you will be put down. GOAL: Up to 5 Cards will be shown displaying a formation of boxxes that you must order from the limited boxes you have in the warehouse. Once you have created any number of the formations the Moneky must press a button for the lift to come and take it away. This must be done before the time runs out. More Boxes will be added as time goes by and with each level. CONTROLS(UI): As the Moneky you can climb the back wall of the Warehouse and move in any of the four directions (Up Down Left Right) as long as there is no box or wall there to spot you. The Monkey can lift any box and can rotate the box if neccessary, he can also push multiple boxes if a large amound needs to be moved. "DEFEND THE BASE" (DtB) GENRE: a 2D Space Invader style game with a Fixed Top Down view of the level. CONCEPT: You are an Orbital Strike Ship overlooking the safetly of Bases planetside. With long range optics you are able to see the bases far on the surface. Doing this you observe swarms of insectoid creatures advancing on the Base, using a high powered cannon you must attack from orbit to Defend the Base. GOAL: From every angle of the screen Monstrous Insects will advance on the base in the Center of the screen. The limited fire power of the Base can do little to nothing to stop the creatures but you can destroy them with the Orbital Cannon. Each of the Four walls of the Base has a limit of Damage that it can take before it is breached, if any insects reach the wall they will begin damagin it until they or the wall is destroyed. Each round fired has a Charge so use them wisely or you will be out of shots when you realy need them. CONTROLS(UI): Use the mouse to click on any area around the Base to fire a Baisc Round, this will have a short delay before impact and a longer duration to fully recharge. At the bottom the screen there is an array of Round options from Scatter Shots to Heavy Impact, each with thier own delay and recharge to use one click on it when its active to set it to your Right click. Between Levels you will be able to spend points to repair the Damaged walls and increase the level of your Rounds or other such systems. Randomly during a level lone Soldiers will be fleeing to the Base, if you can protect them until they reach the Base you will be rewarded with Bonus points of specail attacks. "AMORPHUS" (AM) GENRE: a 2D Bean style game with a Fixed "microsope" view. CONCEPT: Far beyond what the human eye can see is a world of bacteria and microscopic debris. In this tiny world there is Carnivorous Bacteria that Feeds on Herbavorous Bacteria that Feeds on the Floral Bacteria wich will consume most Loose Debris (Organic and Non-Organic). The most important thing is to find balance and in this tiny Bacteria eat Bacteria world finding the balance isnt always easy. GOAL(1): Influance the Bactaria to consume the proper matarials so that all that is left is the Bacteria with the exception of some Non-Organic Materials. Remember some Bacteria cannot consume all things and so you must use the proper bacteria to do so, and the waste products of that Bacteria may then be consumable. GOAL(2):Influance the Bactaria to consume the proper matarials so that all that remains is a balanced system, each balance will be show prior and during the level. Remember some Bacteria cannot consume all things and so you must use the proper bacteria to do so, and the waste products of that Bacteria may then be consumable. If somehow the balance is hurt so badly that it is unrepair able you will lose. CONTROLS(UI): You are BIX the Micro Bot, designed to help balance the Bacteria. Using differant pulses you can influance Bacteria to do differant taste to reach your goal. You can also destroy some Bacteria or Debris if it gets to rampant or in the way, but be carful not to over stress the balance. "GARDEN DREAMS" (GD) GENRE: a 2D organization game with a Fixed Isometric view (top side). CONCEPT: you are a professional gardener and you are hired to plant peoples gardens and help them produce various oders of Flowers and Vegetables. You must continue to plant and water more seeds so to further the gardens productivity so that you can one day be the worlds most famous gardener. GOAL(1): With each action you hope to gain more points than can then be used to perform more actions, with thies points you can perchase from any of the displayed Item cards. These card will give you somthing that you can use in the garden such as Water, Seeds, Fertilizer and even Fire. There will also be Order Cards that will apear that will give you points if you select them, they will remove and order of items from your Garden and instantly give you more points. GOAL(2): As you alter your garder think about how it looks and the oder in wich it is in. Every so often the Garden will be reviewed and you will gain points for number of Flowers and there proximity to eachother in relation to thier colors. You will lose points for any unkempt grass or living Weeds. CONTROLS(UI): using the mouse click on any of the displayed Cards and use them on the Garden, aiming for the best effect. You can only use the cards displayed and after using one another randomly selected card will replace it. make sure to place Flowers of the same color together and remove any Weeds that apear with any Fire cards. Be very carful when using the Fire for it can catch other thing and then you must put it out with Water. Thank you all again, im realy looking forward to see the responses. Please be critical to any of the ideas expecaly the ones you like, if i end up working on one of them i want to know what people think, enjoy.
BLOG: http://rhornbek.wordpress.com/
Advertisement
they all look ok, though
if you make "DEFEND THE BASE" know that there are already about 3 dozen defend something or other flash games on the web that work on the same presmis and you may want browse them a find some way to make yours more unique
All of them sound like they have potential, but Monkey Business and Defend The Base sound like the most fun to me. Monkey Business sounds like the more original of the two - as Kaze says there are a few Defend The Base type games out there already.

Of course, the fact that there's other, similar stuff might not be a bad thing, as it gives you a more tangible idea about how to make the game fun, and the sort of issues that might crop up. I guess it depends how much you value originality over ease of development for this particular project.

Is GD a real time game?
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Monkey Business concept 1 (the breaking of the boxes) sounds really original and fun to me!
I'd place my vote with Monkey Business too. Awesome Skid Row tune, to boot!

MB with concept 2's back story using concept 1's goal and mechanics. I like the very first, but the only thing that I have any issues with is why is the monkey doing this? Concept 2 just allows for a better explaination of all mechanics of the game.
Garden Dreams is a real time puzzle that requiors some persistance or you will not make very many points or your Garden will be over ran by weeds or fire.

I happen to like Monkey Busyness too, and as of now im putting a little more thought into that one being that it is the most recent of the four ideas.

Thanks for the posts, keep 'em comming and tell your friends, i would like to get the finnal TWO by this weekend.

P.S. Could any of you send some LINKS of "Defend the Base" style games to me via a PM (Private Message). I have played "Defend Your Castle" which is the insiration for DtB but i have found no others that arnt just like "Space Invaders" or "Missile Command" thanks.
BLOG: http://rhornbek.wordpress.com/
Monkey Business sounds really fun to me as well. But perhaps I'm just partial to primates.

You could also structure it as a puzzle game where the monkey has to reach some kind of exit. Sometimes he must break blocks to get out, sometimes he must build ladders or somthing. (Kind of like Block Dude for TI calculators)

Good Luck!
http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/defensegames.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement