[.net] Choice between 2 C# 2.0 books

Started by
4 comments, last by cnstrnd 18 years ago
I am new to C# but have a fairly decent C++ knowledge. What reference book would you advise ? One without the for/while/if chapters filling half of it. I found : - Pro C# 2005 and the .NET 2.0 Platform, Third Edition, seems very good. - Pratique de .NET 2 et C#2 or "The practice of .NET 2 and C#2" (i can't find an english edition.) I also looked at "Inside C# 2nd Edition" by MSPress at my local store but got really desappointed contrary to all the positive feedback I read on the internet. Maybe I am missing something. On the other hand, would you advise this Effective C# ? (I already own both Effective C++ books by Meyer which are great.) Thanks for your time.
Advertisement
Well, i will prefer to learn c# from totally beggining.Because if you know c# syntax clearly, you can continu very well.

I will prefer you to buy "Microsoft C# Game Programming For The Absolute Beginner"

Here are some samples by me:
==============================================
IF

if(name == "XeeRox)
{
Console.WriteLine("HI XeeRox");
}
SWITCH

switch(name)
case "XeeRox"
text = "Hi XeeRox"
break;
case "You"
text = "hi you"
break;
default;
text = "uhm, nothing!"

Console.writeline(text);
or
Console.writeline("Lol {0}", text);
These are some samples by C# Language...

If you have any more question, feel free to ask ;)
Pro C# 2005 and the .NET Platform would be my choice. I'm reading it to learn about C# 2.0 features. It covers the basics, just *very* quickly. If you're looking for a book that gets serious fast I think this would serve you well.
..what we do will echo throughout eternity..
I used Programming C# from O'Reilly to transition from C++. The 4th edition includes 2.0 features, and is pretty good about not babying the reader, and pointing out subtle differences. Not too thorough with .NET, but once you know the language, you can learn the (BIG!) library pretty easily.
Just a little shameless plug: :)

My new book (Game Engine Toolset Development) is just hitting shelves now and it is a book focusing on writing game engine tools with C# .NET 2.0. It's ranked at an intermediate skill level. Basically if you understand base programming concepts and have a working knowledge of C# and the .NET framework you'll benefit from this book.

See also:

http://www.getdbook.com

Amazon.com Listing

The amazon author bio has some incorrect info in the last couple sentences, but the rest is up to date.

Cheers,

~Graham

[Edited by - gwihlidal on March 14, 2006 12:37:35 PM]
Ok sorry for not replying sooner,

I finally bought the french edition of Pratical .NET2 and C#2. I haven't read the english translation but the original is great with a lot of different topics spanning the whole .NET technology.

You people might be interested.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement