Sign in to follow this  
freenity

[web] buy a domain

Kwizatz    1392
You can pay every 2, 5 or 10 years I think, ~$15 USD per year, paying once for it and never worry about for your whole life ain't happening, unless you pay 100 years in advance I guess... which would be ~$1500 so maybe it is doable [smile].

Gin    100
i just left my old webhosting and domain company... switched to 1&1 about 30 minutes ago... hope this is good ^_^

Ezbez    1164
Somewhat offtopic, but who gets all the money from registering a domain? Obviously, the website that you registered from will get at least a portion of it, but who regulates all this stuff?

Sorry for being partially off-topic...

Sander    1332
That depends on the domain. The most important one's (.com and .net) have been hijacked by ICANN/VeriSign, causing quite an uproar a while back (do a google search. Also www.theregister.co.uk has quite a few articles on it).

Tradone    100
for real, aplus.net has the best support.
go to thier website aplus.net
and there is a little chat window on the right.
YES! those are real pics of the employees [lol]
how cute. but anyhow, yea, they'll do all the work for you.
even fill out the forms for you.

I have about 50 domains registered from aplus.net
one thing they screwed up on was, they made a mistake and flagged my CC# as fraud and 6 of my domains were down for 10 days. :(

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
www.uni.cc

Go there, and you can get as many .uni.cc domains as you want, for free.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
according to howstuffworks.com, networksolutions (networksolutions.com) still maintains the central database for all domains in the us. however, several registrars maintain dns servers, due to a monopoly type break up:

quote:

-------

Until recently, Network Solutions was the only company that provided domain names. However, to ensure that Network Solutions did not become a monopoly, the U.S. government decided that other companies should also be allowed to sell domain names. While these other companies (known as registrars) provide domain names and maintain DNS servers, Network Solutions still maintains the central database to ensure that there are no duplicates. In the U.S., you pay Network Solutions an annual fee to maintain your domain name in the central name server.

-------