Sign in to follow this  
vrok137

Cannaot Uninstall Visual Studio Express Editions

vrok137    241
I need some help on how to do this. I have bee trying to uninstall Visual C#, Visual Basic, and Visual C++ Express Editions from my computer. Please do not ask as to why I am doing this, I just need help in completly removing them. I have tried removing them from the Add or Remove Programs section in the Control Panel, but every time I do I get an error that says: "Setup is unable to determine a valid ordering for the installation. See the error log for further details." What do I do now to uninstall my visual studio express products? Is there anyone that can help me on this?

vrok137    241
Quote:
Original post by stonedsloth
just delete it from program files

What about the registry entires these products have made. Although I know that they can be removed through program files, How do I delete the traces they left in the registry?

Baraclese    172
Have you checked for this issue on the msdn website? You could try to install it again over your old installation and hope that it fixes the ordering it complains about... I dont know if it will let you do that though, it prolly detects that it is already installed.

Fahrenheit451    498
I believe if you attempt to install the product again it will perform a repair of the existing installation. After that, try uninstalling again. I did this recently when a registry cleaner somehow zapped important file associations and I lost all of the solution files, as well as others.

Adam Hamilton    271
There is actually an automatic uninstall utility from the msdn website that should do this for you... When I go home today, I will post the website.

Do not ever just delete stuff from program files as stonedsloth mentioned. This is a dangerous course of action which will require a format to fix. I know as I have done this before (not with VS2005) and left hooks in the registry which caused subsequent errors for no apparent reason.

Another reason not to go deleting from Program Files is that VS2005 puts stuff in your Windows/System32 directory

Hold off with the directory prune until I post the website

Adam Hamilton    271
Hi

I assumed before you had the Beta version of the software, if you do then the link below should help you.

Here is the link
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/uninstall/

If you have a non-beta version of VS2005 then the link below is to the VS2005 forum and someone there may give you more advice.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=53461

Good luck ;)