ATI texture rectangles, whats the deal?

Started by
8 comments, last by RichardS 18 years, 1 month ago
Hi everyone, OK i have been searching for days on information about this and I just need clarification that what ive discovered is recent and correct.. ATI support texture rectangles (via EXT_texture_rectangle or ARB_texture_rectangle) however, only cards with ARB_texture_rectangle support can access them using GLSL (e.g. sampler2DRect and texture2DRect). People with cards (like me) with only EXT_texture_rectangle supported (not ARB) cannot access them through GLSL. I'm not sure if thats right, but that is all I can find. I really need to access texture rectangles through GLSL, but everytime I try and use sampler2DRect, it says its a reserved word and cant be accessed. Are ATI's drivers behind on the OpenGL 2.0 compliancy front? Why, when they both perform identically is EXT_texture_rectangle supported on my Radeon 9550 and ARB_texture_rectangle not? I'm complete confused, and annoyed that I cant work this out, so any information you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Luke.
Member of the NeHe team.
Advertisement
Does anybody know? If anyone can point me towards any information on the texture rectangle extension for ATI, or any samples of it, that would be excellent.

Luke.
Member of the NeHe team.
Can't you just use the non-power-of-two extension (actually, in OpenGL 2.0 it's a core functionality)?
Perhaps I could, i'll have to adjust everything to account for the change in the texture coordinates. It would be so much simpler though just to use texture rectangles, until I went to run my shader I didnt realise ATI didnt support them in GLSL.

Does anyone know when ATI is planning on adding this functionality to their drivers?
Member of the NeHe team.
Well with non-power-of-two being core anyway I think the answer is never.
Olli Salli
However Radeon 9*** doesn't support NPOT texture.
All Mobility Radeon 9*** and X*** have the same "bug" ...

Maybe we could just ask but I just think that they don't care...

When GL_EXT_texture_rectangle was promoted to GL_ARB_texture_rectangle ATI vote NO. nVidia is the author of GL_NV_texture_rectangle witch could explain some things :/

GL_ARB_texture_rectangle is awesome, give us a good support please !
[size="2"]G-Truc Creation - www.g-truc.net
Grr... I knew I should have stuck with nVidia. Oh well, next card upgrade im switching back. Back to the drawing board.
Member of the NeHe team.
OK, just went to try and re-write everything using GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two and my card doesnt support it! Now what do I do? I need access to rectangular textures in GLSL, EXT_texture_rectangle is supported, although not in the shaders, and ARB_texture_non_power_of_two is available in the shaders, but my card doesnt support it.

My opinion of ATI is getting lower by the second.

EDIT:

My card apparently supports OpenGL 2.0, yet GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two is not in the extension string. Why is this if it is core? Can I still use non-power-of-two textures even though its not in the extension string?

[Edited by - Kazade on March 16, 2006 11:41:14 AM]
Member of the NeHe team.
Quote:My card apparently supports OpenGL 2.0, yet GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two is not in the extension string. Why is this if it is core? Can I still use non-power-of-two textures even though its not in the extension string?

you should be able to beware a lot of cards eg my nv3x dont support it in hardware thus youll get <1 fps.
nv4x > + the new ati cards support it though.
NPOT is perfect much better than ARB_texture_rectangle.
sorry cant help u with ati + ARB_texture_rectangle as i dont have an ati card
Quote:Original post by Kazade
OK, just went to try and re-write everything using GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two and my card doesnt support it! Now what do I do? I need access to rectangular textures in GLSL, EXT_texture_rectangle is supported, although not in the shaders, and ARB_texture_non_power_of_two is available in the shaders, but my card doesnt support it.

My opinion of ATI is getting lower by the second.

EDIT:

My card apparently supports OpenGL 2.0, yet GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two is not in the extension string. Why is this if it is core? Can I still use non-power-of-two textures even though its not in the extension string?

Yes, if OpenGL 2.0 support is claimed, then you can use ARB_NPOT. The extension string itself does not have to be exported.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement