• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Need help with terrain stitching optimization

This topic is 4329 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So it has come to this, after 4 revisions, I still feel my terrain stitching, for geo-mipmapping code still is too big, clumsy, and down right looks horrible. It is also probably slow, it produces good looking terrain stitching though imho. So, I figured instead of me trying to do it again, I would try to get a second opinion, perhaps some tips. Frankly it looks too horrible to actually work efficiently; there must be a better way. Or is this how it is done? I have vertex caching for lod 0 only (I hope it works), but have not got around to doing it for the other lod levels because I am stumped for optimizing this. I know that this code is dragging down my fps, so I would love to do anything and everything I can to make it faster. Without further adue, here is my mess for stitching the index buffer for a patch. There was a lot of white space that screwed up the forum size, so I had to link to it. See link below for the source link to the source Later on, I would love to add geo-morphing, but that is not a priority right now. So: 1 Is this the best way to do stitching, (I would love a nice clean loop or 4 ;) ) But I am at a loss for how to do it when you need to match corners – Would zero-ish area triangles work? 2 What can I do to speed this up? It is just this code is called whenever a patch of terrain is changing lods, so it must be as fast as I can possibly get it. this is what it looks like stitched together: Image hosting by Photobucket Thanks EDIT: had to link to the source since there was whitespace that I didnt notice that screwed up the forum size. link to the source [Edited by - Valor Knight on March 15, 2006 3:47:20 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement