• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DXnut

Quaternion rotations

This topic is 4513 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am trying to use quaternions so I can keep track of the rotation on the XYZ axes. I am doing the same thing I have done with matrices (when I don't need to keep track of the rotation on each axis independently).
//I start by making it the identity:

D3DXQuaternionIdentity(&m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value);

//Then, as the mouse moves to rotate it on the Y-axis MoveXYZ is a calculation of the mouse movement (it's like 0.06 after a small movement)

D3DXQuaternionRotationAxis(&DQ, &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f), MoveXYZ.y);
D3DXQuaternionNormalize(&DQ, &DQ);
D3DXQuaternionMultiply(&m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value, &m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value, &DQ);
D3DXQuaternionNormalize(&m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value, &m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value);

//Then I update the frame's matrix:

D3DXMATRIXA16 R;
D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion(&R, &DQ);
m_pFrame->TransformationMatrix = R * m_pFrame->TransformationMatrix;
(also tried "*= R" here)

This causes major problems trying to render the basic cylinder mesh I skinned here. It basically destroys the TransformationMatrix, and I end up seeing deranged results in the debugger window for it. I found that if I do this it works (where I saved the TransformationMatrix in a new matrix that doesn't get changed): D3DXMATRIXA16 R; D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion(&R, &m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value); m_pFrame->TransformationMatrix = R * m_pFrame->OriginalTrans; However, I can't add on new keyframes after this, since they won't be added on to the changes made previously to the TransformationMatrix. What am I doing wrong??? Thanks.

Advertisement
Stupid me. [embarrass] I was calling the routine to update the matrix from one place after processing all 3 possible axis rotations. I moved the call into each one, and it works:

D3DXQUATERNION DQ;
if (MoveXYZ.x != 0.0f)
{
D3DXQuaternionRotationAxis(&DQ, &D3DXVECTOR3(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), MoveXYZ.x);
D3DXQuaternionMultiply(&m_KeyFrame.RotateX.Value, &m_KeyFrame.RotateX.Value, &DQ);
D3DXQuaternionNormalize(&m_KeyFrame.RotateX.Value, &m_KeyFrame.RotateX.Value);
UpdateFrameRotation(DQ);
}
if (MoveXYZ.y != 0.0f)
{
D3DXQuaternionRotationAxis(&DQ, &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f), MoveXYZ.y);
D3DXQuaternionMultiply(&m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value, &m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value, &DQ);
D3DXQuaternionNormalize(&m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value, &m_KeyFrame.RotateY.Value);
UpdateFrameRotation(DQ);
}
if (MoveXYZ.z != 0.0f)
{
D3DXQuaternionRotationAxis(&DQ, &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f), MoveXYZ.z);
D3DXQuaternionMultiply(&m_KeyFrame.RotateZ.Value, &m_KeyFrame.RotateZ.Value, &DQ);
D3DXQuaternionNormalize(&m_KeyFrame.RotateZ.Value, &m_KeyFrame.RotateZ.Value);
UpdateFrameRotation(DQ);
}

void AnimationCreateDialogsCTL::UpdateFrameRotation(D3DXQUATERNION& DQ)
{
D3DXMATRIXA16 R;
D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion(&R, &DQ);
m_pFrame->TransformationMatrix = R * m_pFrame->TransformationMatrix;
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!