Visual Studio "page lines" possible?

Started by
4 comments, last by CTar 18 years, 1 month ago
Is it possible to print a vertical dotted line down the side of the editor window in VC++ 2005, at the point where a line of code would wrap around to the next line if printed on paper? Not a big deal, but it would be really convenient. Thanks in advance.
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
Advertisement
To get a line you can go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/VisualStudio/8.0/Text Editor
Here you create a new value with the type REG_SZ (string). In this format:
RGB(0-255,0-255,0-255) 0-INF
The last number is position. So for a red (not 255 red, only 128) one at the 100th col we would have:
RGB(128,0,0) 100
You should call this value "Guides".
EDIT: If you want more than one line just add numbers, for example if we wanted 5 lines at 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 we would write:
RGB(128,0,0) 20 40 60 80 100
AFAIK you can't assign a color to each line.
Wow; that's quite a hack.

Thanks for the info; you'd think MS would think to add an option in the "view" menu lol.

Rate-ups for that one!
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
WOW!Thats really useful. Can anyone tell me how to do this with Dev-C++, it would be really appreciated.

Thank You,
-Pharaoh12
Quote:Original post by Pharaoh12
WOW!Thats really useful. Can anyone tell me how to do this with Dev-C++, it would be really appreciated.

Thank You,
-Pharaoh12

If Dev-Cpp doesn't support this by default, you can write an application which will draw the vertical dotted-line for you in the Dev-Cpp IDE.

This shouldn't be more then a few lines using GDI.
Quote:Original post by Pharaoh12

Thank You,
-Pharaoh12

I just downloaded Dev-C++ 5 and you can enable such a line by going into Tools->Editor Options. You should now be in the "general" tab. Close to the lower right corner of the new window there is a little place called "Right margin" here you can enable the line, make sure to change the color to something else than the background of the editor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement