resize array?

Started by
3 comments, last by 31337noob 18 years, 1 month ago
i have a something called Shape **sPtr = 0; ok when i add new data items to it i do this. sPtr = new Shape*[num+1]; ....... ok, i think every time it finds sPtr is resizing it deletes the old data in that array. my question is how do you keep the data that is in the array when you want to resize something?
Advertisement
You are dynamically creating memory on the heap. This will not delete memory previously allocated. Use the delete operator on the pointer first then allocate another array.

With that said, someone else will tell you to use the std::vector if you want an array that will resize.

If you don't use the new operator you can use the realloc command to have the memory pointed to preserved. If you take the new operator approach, then you will just have to memcpy the data over to the new array.
expect i cant use vectors because this is for homework.
Quote:Original post by 31337noob

Homework is supposed to be your assignment to figure out yourself. I think they call it a learning experience.

unsigned int * pIntArray = new unsigned int[20];unsigned int * pIntArrayResize = new unsigned int[21];memcpy(pIntArrayResize, pIntArray, sizeof(unsigned int) * 20);delete [] pIntArray;pIntArray = pIntArrayResize;

There is a problem with your your statement where you try to assign new char*[num + 1] to sPtr. They are unrelated types.
Quote:Original post by 31337noob

never mind, i could.

i used it and it worked.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement