Sign in to follow this  
Rouge_Raven

Money for Indies

Hullo, I'm coming in with some problems on my FPS project, and that is financially. I'm 14 years old, and my primary source of income for a bit has been through referreing, which is only on Saturday's during the season. I have lost my job due to failure to retest, and cannot rejoin for about a year. Right now, estimated costs for the FPS project is around $400, and could get higher by a few hundred dollars. I was wondering on ways to recieve income to help. Should I set up a donation policy, all news comes early for donaters? Should I bother in autosurfers and other get-paid-to services? Should I set up a shop, where you can buy merchandise of the game?

First I dont know why making a game is going to cost you money. Two, it's nice that you are trying to do something, but your 14, are you sure you want to make a FPS? Maybe re-evaluate other games you have done. Also, one step I just recently started is : PLAN everything out and see what you technically dont know about making your game. And no, nobody will buy merch of your game. Try to get a job, maybe a newspaper route, wash dishes...

Well the Codemasters (Darling brothers) started off by programming games and selling them at school. Then again that was in the days of the Spectrum 48k and stuff.

Similar opportunities for indies exist now in the casual gaming and mobile phone games.

As for funding I would say "you'ld be lucky". Without business plans and something to show I doubt anyone would just hand out money.

Anyways, I'd also point you towards this forums FAQ... http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=5#published

I'd say, if you really need money, autosurfers are your way to go if you're too young to get a real job. Otherwise, I'd consider doing a project that doesn't cost money (what is the money for?), something like a mod for a video game (HalfLife2 is your best bet IMO). That will give you alot of experience in all aspects when you want to create your own game.

You can get a paper route, do work around the house (above and beyond your existing chores, hope you're not spoiled) for money from your parents. Spring is soon upon us you can mow lawns on the weekends, start asking neighbors now (and your parents if you can borrow the mower or something)...

Lots of money to be made (not the best per hour) if you seek it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
realize these are the fun years of your life and stop worring about funding your FPS (that will never be better than HL, Quake, ect..). If you do happen to complete a FPS, realize that all the people you give it to will basically play it for a few minutes and then stop playing it (why because they will go back to playing counter strike). Being 14 and interested in game development should cost you around $100 legitimately (compiler, paint program, and modeler). This is less than most teen activities like sports. Ask your parents for $100 for a compiler "that goes towards your future education". If they say no - then ask for a $200 skateboard so you can go do recreational activites then. But the hard fact is - this is just a learning experience keep it simple, cheap, enjoyable and have some fun along the way too.