'dual' sending/receiving

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 1 month ago
I just want to know if something like this will create any problems. I am pretty sure I will run into problems, but I'm not really in a good state of mind for thinking right now, too loud, too much on my mind etc.

//Send loop
void send_loop()
{

char buf[256],
         buf2[256];

send(fd, buf, sizeof(buf), 0);
    send(fd, buf2, sizeof(buf2), 0);
}

//Receive loop
void recv_loop()
{
    int bytes,
        cmd; 

char buf[256];

if((bytes = recv(i, buf, sizeof(buf), 0)) <= 0)
        {
            if(bytes == 0)
            {
                std::cout<<"Client "<<inet_ntoa(Raddr.sin_addr)<<" closed on socket "<<i<<std::endl;
            }
            closesocket(i);
            FD_CLR(i, &master);
        }

cmd = atoi (buf);    //Convert the buf string to integer for later use with switch-statement for selecting which command the user chose

if((bytes = recv(i, buf, sizeof(buf), 0)) <= 0)//Recv the string to output to the console incase cmd==1, which is the print to console command
        {
            if(bytes == 0)
            {
                std::cout<<"Client "<<inet_ntoa(Raddr.sin_addr)<<" closed on socket "<<i<<std::endl;
            }
            closesocket(i);
            FD_CLR(i, &master);
        }

std::cout << buf << std::endl;
I just need to know if this would work. The user would enter to the console, for a say function: "1 hello", which would select the say command and print hello to the screen.
Hello?
Advertisement
Note that the user could send a non-zero-terminated string to you, and that atof() would fail.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
So, the receiving/sending functions wouldn't interfere with eachother?
Hello?
That almost certainly won't work. One call to send() could be picked up by 2 calls to recv(), and 2 calls to send() could be picked up by 1 recv(). In your case, TCP will almost certainly merge the two send()s into one packet, and they'll be picked up by one call to recv().
You'd need to use UDP (which is unreliable and doesn't guarantee the order the packets arrive in), but is faster, or use some kind of tokenizing in the TCP stream.
I'm assuming the sockets are blocking, so after you send 256 bytes, you can read 256 bytes on the other end.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement